Author Topic: flintnapping kit  (Read 2185 times)

jim_bob

flintnapping kit
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:29:15 pm »
i want to try my hand at making flint knives,arrowheads, etc. and have looked around a bit. these are what ive found in my price range. nativeway.safewebshop.com/basic_flintknapping_kit.html

yuma-arizona.olx.com/flint-knapping-starter-kits-iid-6216658

.a-finlay-primitive-crafts.com/flint_kit_1.html
thanks,
            james
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:33:37 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: flintnapping kit
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:45:05 pm »
The first one looks about the best. Alot of the tools you can make yourself, but it is nice to get everything all at one time. Do you have anything at all to knap with? If you can wait till after the holidays I may be able to hook you up with a kit myself. PM me and we will talk it out.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

jim_bob

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »
nope, this will be my first stuff for it. but i can get it myself thanks anyways though.  ;)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:47:55 pm »
jim bob, I edited your post to disable the links. Links to websites other than paying advertizers are not allowed. I think #3 and #1 look OK. #3 is in Europe so you will pay a bunch in shipping. There are much better kits available, but you will pay a little more. For me it is money well spend because you wont get so frustrated.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:49:41 pm »
Ok Jim. Let me know if you change your mind.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

jim_bob

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:06:12 pm »
k,
   thanks guys. sorry bout the links i didnt realized we werent supossed to post them.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 11:05:38 pm »
 Why don't you search the Flintknapping section. I know pictures and directions of different tools havebeen posted over the years. And then gather, buy ortrade for the materials and make your own. A lot more rewarding and cheaper, and maybe easier also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:54:09 pm »
youll be surprised how quik and eas y it is to make a few basic knapping tools
a good rock will work as a percussion tool.
a good hard wood dowel and a piece of hard copper wire and ya got an ishi stick
get a grinder wheel and bust it up and ya got your abraiding stone
then all ya need is some rock or glass and your set to go

if the rock doesnt tickle your fancy for doing percussion work,then get a foot of .75 to 1 inch copper pipe
a couple of end caps filled with melted down wheel weights make a real nice bopper
especially if you round out the end cap before you fill it with lead,as you use it it gets roughed up and works even better

good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline StevenT

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 11:24:32 am »
To add to what sailordad said... If you need a leather palm pad... concider an old pair of boots or leather shoes. If you want a rubber palm pad... use the heel and cut a notch in it. For a lap pad you can use a piece of carpet, but I would put a folded up tee shirt or something like that on top of the carpet. Otherwise small flakes can get stuck in the carpet and you could end up driving them into your leg or cutting your hands. Carpet pad works good as the bottom layer. As far as copper boppers, the 1" and 3/4" copper end caps you get at local hardware store work great. Any small limb off of just about any tree will work for the handle. Just shave the end down a bit until the cap fits. Don't believe it if you hear things like they wear out to quick. I have been pounding rock with them for several months now and they are still going. And if you do find enough time to wear one out... they are really cheap. Most of the stuff you need to get started is very easy to make.