Author Topic: First Red Oak bow!  (Read 6742 times)

Offline luis32

First Red Oak bow!
« on: December 23, 2009, 07:32:18 pm »
Hi my name is Luis I am 15 and this is my first bow and I wanted to share it with you guys because it is thanks to all you that I am now involved in the sport of archery and addicted to the art of making bows.This bow took me about 2 week to finish mostly because of the lack of tools and a car for example when I bought the stave I didnt have any tools to but after searching for a few days I found an old block plane and scissors which is all I used to make this bow.The bow is about #40 @ 26" I dont have a tillering stick or anything like that so I wouldnt know if the tiller is right and no one in my family wants to take a picture of my drawing the bow,since I am the youngest and the first one to make a bow in the family they think there something wrong with me,but they understand someday.Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures but it is already dark outside and tomorrow I work almost all day and then Xmas and then I go to Peru so I wanted to thank you all now for sharing all you know and also wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Oh and excuse me for my bad english but I just came from peru approximately 2 years ago and Im still learning english.

Offline bryan irwin

Re: First Red Oak bow!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:57:29 pm »
nice bow and merry christmas to you and yours
bryan irwin

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:16:59 pm »
Luis, you have talent. I couldn't do the job you did with the tools you used. Keep at it, learn arrows too. Have fun.

Offline Ken S

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »
great bow Luis you do indeed have talent

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:42:32 pm »
looks good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

half eye

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:17:23 pm »
hey bud,
       good for you, looks like it will fling arrows to this old man...I think its a lot better than my first one ever was...keep at it!!!
half eye

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:42:04 pm »
You made that thing with a block plane and scissors!  Holy moly!  If I give you a brick and some chewing gum will you build an add-on to my house?  ;)

Hey, that looks nice.  You've got it going good.  Looking forward to some full draw pics!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:54:04 pm »
Looking forward to some full draw pics!
Absolutely - you have a nice bow. How about cranking it back to full draw. Thanks for the participation!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 11:49:58 pm »
Here it looks even better!

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 12:05:37 am »
Very nice! Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline luis32

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:22:42 am »
Thanks for all the positive comments I am really happy you guys like it .This comments made my day.
Here is a video of me shooting some fiberglass arrows that I bought on craigslist(24 for $20)I been really happy with the performance of this bow the first two shots were taken from 15 yards,and the other 3 from 20 yards away.I really need to practice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R28X0yy1YOo

Oh before making this bow I didnt believed what you guys said about the addiction of bow making but now I understand it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:28:38 am by luis32 »

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 01:29:34 am »
scissors and a block plane you have humbled me with my beltsanders ,table saw ,band saw and everything else great job on that bow you definitely have talent.
                                                                Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 06:00:08 am »
Congrats on your first bow,very nice,let's see more pictures. Tips,handle,Full draw. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 12:57:55 pm »
block plane and a pair of scissors??  wow that is truly amazing

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »
Congratulations on your first bow. It took me years to achieve a bow as good as that!  ::) Your use of the tools available makes it more sweet. You are very talented.
  Welcome to PA, luis! Looks like you will fit right in here. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC