Author Topic: Artificial sinew string advice  (Read 6283 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Artificial sinew string advice
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:57:24 am »
30# test artificial sinew...I'm trying to make a string that'll hold on a 45lb bow.  I used 6 strands...which means it should hold up to 180lbs.  It does, indeed, support my weight (approx 160lbs), but the string seems a little dainty.  Would a 180lb test weight be okay for a 45lb bow?  I think I'm actually more concerned about the string cutting into the wood.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

coyote pup

Re: Artificial sinew string advice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:35:15 pm »
Yeah. Artificial sinew is all I have used for bow strings. I too have found that 6 strands makes a pretty thin string. Anymore, regardless of the poundage, I don't use less than 8 strands, except for kids bows. Also because it starts to get scary when they get some wear on them, and you don't have that extra couple strands of security to count on.

half eye

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:49:12 pm »
hey M 71
      I too make my strings from artificial sinew....use 70# though, 9 strands (3 bundles X 3 strands@) shoot bare fingers so I like mine "fat"....they are comfortable to shoot, dont slow down the bows (50-55#), and they are dead quiet.....even if they are "over-kill"...here's a pic
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:03:56 pm »
Do you guys find it a bit stretchy?

coyote pup

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:10:31 pm »
I have found it to stretch, but not more than anything else I've tried. When I was first starting out, I went to buy a B-50 string for a 55lb osage bow I had made. The guy at the shop said it was a recurve string, but when I got home it was for a compound. The knock loup was obviously for a bolt and not for a knock. I modified it to make it fit, and when I put it on the bow, it stretched it right out and the bow straightened up completely. I twisted the string and it stopped stretching and worked. If you do the same with art. sinew and just put a few twists in it like you would any other material, it will hold pretty well and stop stretching. I've got artificial on all my bows and some are 65lbs, no problem.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:13:31 pm »
The artificial strings I've bought haven't stretched much...but I buy them in the 200~300lb area and am using 50~70lb bows.

Thanks Coyote Pup and Half eye...I wanted to keep it minimal because I made one string to where it looked "thick" enough for me but, after wrapping the loops and the nock area it was WAY too thick.  I was trying to do this minimaly so after I wrap it it'll still be thin enough to still be workable.  I might save this string for a lighter bow later and make another with 8~10 strands just for that security.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:02:48 pm »
I have art. sinew on my 50# bow.  It's 6 strands.  It was a bit thin so I added serving to the nock area.  After I made the string I hung it from the ceiling with a 50# weight on it for a couple days.  I never noticed any stretching when I put it on the bow.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:23:28 pm »
Just a note for anyone wanting to make a crazy horsebow with the big static siyahs...the nock loops have to be HUGE.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:29:58 pm »
Okay I have another question:

Is there any reason not to spin the string in a continuous loop?  The few I've made I made this way with no ill effects but am I setting myself up for an eventual problem?  The only real difference I see between what I've been doing and what I've recieved from other bowyers is that the string nocks have braided knots.  I've been running the string around two pegs, set at the proper length I'm looking for, and tie the end to the beginning in a triple weaver's knot...then I just tie my nock loops in an overhand knot. 

coyote pup

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 03:02:08 pm »
I wouldn't think there'd be any problem with it and never have noticed one. That's how I make mine.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 03:11:03 pm »
Thanks Coyote!

coyote pup

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 03:13:13 pm »
No problem.

Sorry I accidently posted twice. Didn't mean to say the same thing again  ;D

coyote pup

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 03:16:48 pm »
I love artificial sinew. I recently found some yellow-ish 30# which looks really authentic on a bow. Has the look and almost the feel of a real sinew string without the work. Don't get me wrong - I would love to make my own real sinew strings. But you need a whole bunch of shredded sinew to make one and I've heard they don't last all that long, plus I never have the extra sinew to spare.

DCM4

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 03:23:38 pm »
Folks who like it's elasticity might find better value in B50 string material.  It comes in all colors as well and at $7 for 4200' has got to be cheaper than artificial sinew.  It's the same material (polyester or trade named Dacron) and if artificial sinew breaks at 30# per strand, sounds like same strand diameter.

coyote pup

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 03:45:25 pm »
Elasticity is not what you're looking for in a bowstring.

I like artificial sinew because it works. B-50 sounds cheaper, but no place close to me sells it and if I bought it online I'd end up paying the diference in shipping anyway.