Author Topic: Cane, start to finish  (Read 2700 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Cane, start to finish
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:16:03 am »
I know everyone has different ways and stages of building an arrow.  I am just courious, after your cane/bamboo is dry, how long does it take you to complet and arrow.  From the start of straightening, cutting in self nocks, tapering points, fletching with 3 fletch and sinew wrapping each, how long do you spend on ONE arrow..

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Cane, start to finish
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:26:08 am »
If I do a dz at a time it takes me 24 to 28 hrs ..

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:44 am »
charlie, i dont have access to alot of cane.but have traded for some.
it takes me start to finish,from straightening to end about 4 hours each.
thats just a guess as i never watch the clock,but i am sloooooow at it lol
i have become a very patient person since i started all my primitive hobbies.
i have learned that rushing on a project,whether its a bow,arrow or knapping,just ends in bad results for me.
after work i have a lot of free time(kids are both grown and in the Navy) so i just take my time and enjoy what i am doing.
i dont work to anyones schedule on my projects,except my own.
if i do make something for someone whom asks me too,i tell them i work at my pace and that they need to be patient and i will call when its finished. ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:32:25 am »
Charlie, I can spend an hour or two(total time) for each arrow. After I straighten the major bends I let them rest until completely cool, usually the next day. Working with a number of shoots this process will take only 15 minutes to a half hour for each session. After the final straightening and after the cooling period I cut the shafts to length, reduce diameter if needed and temper the shafts by starting at one end and heating until color change(some quite scorched for camo) down to the other end rotating the shaft as I go down it's length. Be aware of steam coming from the far end as it will burn you. Even with a "dry" shoot there will be enough moisture to produce steam. Again I leave them until tomorrow, laying on a flat surface. After completely cool I cut the nock slot and prepare the point end either by tapering or cutting the slot for the trade or stone point. You may have to do some more minor straightening  and that should be done before a finish is added.
  I have used Tru-Oil or pitch varnish as a finish but have also used hand rubbed bear fat. If I am going to hand tie fletching I will place the shaft into my JoJan fletcher and trace a pencil line down along the clamp(on the shaft) for the 3 fletch, as a guide for the fletching. While doing this I chew some sinew for the wrap. Once wrapped I allow the sinew to dry completely before sealing. Same on the point end. I use pitch varnish for all sinew wraps as a sealer. When you chew the sinew no extra glue is needed as your saliva and the sinew make their own glue.
  I use pitch glue for stone and trade points and commercial point hot melt for field points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:35:56 am »
I guess my straightening process applies for both cane and shoot arrows.
  One other thing I do is mount the point before fletching. I want to be sure the point is placed so the arrow spins true before I fletch the shafts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:17 am »
I just spent the morning making a video making a bamboo arrow start to finish. I believe it took about two hours (for one arrow). I will post the video once I get it edited.
Making bamboo arrows is new to me (last 3 weeks), but I have made hundreds of wood arrows (from board, dowels and trees) over the last 10 years.
Chuck S.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:45:21 pm »
Charlie, I generally don't scorch cane as much as I do hardwood shoots.