Author Topic: New/old project  (Read 2683 times)

quercusalba

New/old project
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:41:24 pm »
I used to frequent the old board back some 7-8 years ago (mainly a lurker), had to sign up for a new user name.
Anyway, I have a stave I got six years ago from Tony aka River rat that I was afraid to work on, as I mainly make flat bows from boards. The stave is 43", 1.75" wide down to 3/4" at the tips. He's got it all noted out what needs to be done still, so I think it's time to work on it. I forget what he said it was, mulberry maybe. He must have put it into a form when still green. It's got some serious reflex. So I think I'll just take it real slow. Suggestions welcome  ;)

Some pics:

Offline DanaM

Re: New/old project
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:56:30 pm »
Welcome back :) Bracing that baby is going to be fun :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:59:27 pm »
Looks like you're half way there for that to be a horn bow core. Is that reflex bent in or did it dry that way? Should be a sweet bow after.

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:08:07 pm »
how thick is it ??
I would strongly recommend that you not shape it per those marks in the handle, unless it's thick enough to take the strain.....

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

quercusalba

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 07:51:00 pm »
Its about half inch thick at the handle.
I think the blank was put in a form while the wood was still wet.

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:57:41 pm »
I...for one...can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions on this one....I'm no expert by no stretch of the imagination....
but I would think some of that bend will have to be removed before you can work on it....Steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 08:06:18 pm »
ditto on the handle marks comment. if you don't put an extra piece of wood at the handle to increase the thickness, there's gonna be a massive weak spot if you cut along those lines.

that's a lot of reflex and I doubt it would fail to blow up if it is not backed with something to protect it (sinew, linen, raw flax). if that were my stave, i would steam some deflex in the handle-fades area so it will be more manageable to string and less likely to blow up. if you have tbb4 there's something about the karpowicz low stack design in the ''design and performance revisited'' chapter that explains a bit this kind of bow (deflex reflex/ parallel limbs at brace).

cheers
Matthieu
Quebec, Canada

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »
if you tied a string tip to tip it would be a backward bow! >:D >:D >:D just kiddin , i'll step aside for real suggestion's

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 11:50:32 pm »
River Rat! Wow - that does take us back about five years!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

quercusalba

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 12:13:38 am »
Ken75 - this thing has been a conundrum to me for several years, so humor is appropriate.
Appreciate the suggestions...I know there's a bow in this stave. Just have to figure the best way to go about it.
I know Tony made other bows with the same technique. Maybe this is a good time to get TBB4.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 12:16:41 am »
Thats gonna be a cool bow cant wait to see what you come up with.  Only one sugestion I have; I am in the process of making a 40 inch west coast style Indain bow that has about 5-6 inches reflex that I put in during sinew backing it and I am working on the tiller now, bu I cannot for the life of me get it braced.  So I would definately try to get some reflex out of that stave.  Also there will be alot of strain on that handle even if you dont cut it out. I would leave the handle wide JMO.
Tell Riley
Tell Riley

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 12:18:27 am »
If it dried into reflex like that, it should be temporary.  You might have 8 feet of reflex now but might end up with an inch of set in the end.  Unless you put sinew on one side and horn on the other...  :D
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

nickf

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 04:48:14 pm »
sinewback it!!!

Nick

Offline shikari

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 04:54:08 pm »
that would make a fantastic mughal crabbow,the wood looks like maple.I could be wrong.