Author Topic: Proper draw length?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Frode

Proper draw length?
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:26:23 pm »
Hi all,
Noob question to be sure, but where is the proper point to measure draw weight from?  If I weigh my red oak bow from arrow nock to handle ("2" below) I get one weight, and if I measure from nock to back ("1" below), I get a different and heavier number.  Which is proper, or preferred?
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:29:25 pm by Frode »
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Proper draw length?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:36:47 pm »
Your tiller looks good,so youre ok in that aspect.Take your wing span and halve it,this should be your draw length.The poundage will increase the farther it is drawn,but if pulled-drawn too far POW! Bow breaks.So tiller to your desired  weight  at your draw length.Hope I havent confused you too much.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline boo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:42:54 pm »
meassure from the front of the bow @ #2 in your photo for draw weight.
Boo

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 01:20:39 pm »
Hi Frode,   I always thought the standard was to measure draw length from the string to the back of the bow.   Handle depth can vary tremendously and would affect a measurement to the belly!  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:29:30 pm »
I measure from the back (part of bow facing target)  to the inside of the arrow nock for draw length.  you can draw your bow with an arrow and have a friend place a clothes pin on the arrow at the back of the bow when you hit your anchor point.  then just measure from the clothes pin to the inside of the arrow nock... Should give you your proper draw length.   :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln