Author Topic: river cane arrow making, did i do it right??  (Read 4233 times)

primitivehunter2

river cane arrow making, did i do it right??
« on: December 22, 2009, 01:02:28 am »
okay i just collected some river cane shafts about three weeks ago. first i collected the river cane that were approx. 3/8 - 3.5/8" in width. i only collected the shafts that had the dried up leaves attatched to it( the ones that grow from the nodes.)then i stripped these leaves off and sanded down the nodes. once i was done with that i cut in the nocks. i made the nocks right after a node( i heard that this helps stop the arrow from splitting when released from the string) i then bundled up the shafts and put them in my closet to dry for about three weeks. i noticed that they still had a "green" color to them so i put them back in my closet. i plan on filling up it hollow part of the river cane at the tip with some bamboo skewers to taper and add field points to( instead of making a foreshaft)

please critique.. thank you and good hunting :)

Offline boo

Re: river cane arrow making, did i do it right??
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:36:44 am »
I leave mine alone till they are dry. Then i spine them, the ones that make that cut get the nodes sanded and straightened , cut to length, glue bamboo skewers in both ends, and then i cut in my knocks.
Boo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:37:45 am »
When I collect cane I bundle it up and set aside for a month or two to dry before doing anything else. Once dry I will straighten them with heat, cut to length and put in the self nock. Just above a node is good but I wrap sinew below the nock also. Sometimes I sand nodes but generally I will heat the node and compress it by rolling it against a smooth hard surface with a wood block on top. This can reduce the node area to the same or slightly larger than the internode section.
When collecting cane look for the culms(canes) that the sheaths have fallen off or deteriorated pretty good. You want second year canes for arrows. If you see some of your canes wrinkle lengthwise they are too young; first year growth. Also your cane will stay light green until you place them in direct sunlight. That will make them turn the golden tan color.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:40:46 am »
Same here, I let it dry,then sort it by spine before I do anything to it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:00:57 pm »
 The only thing I see you might have skipped is you cut the nocks in before you found the stiff side. You need to find the stiff side and then cut your nocks so the stiff side will be facing the bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?