Author Topic: Stringing noise  (Read 2307 times)

Offline StickandString88

Stringing noise
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:57:32 pm »
 I have a 68" red oak pyramid bow in the works that is giving me some trouble.  I got the limbs moving about 10-12" on the long string, so I decided to move to the short string.  When I attempt to string it at a low to medium brace height, it makes a snapping noise on what I am using as the bottom limb.  It sounds like it is coming from the string nock area.  I've looked it over a couple of times but don't see any splinters raising or any compression cracks. Could it be my string wanting to bind or pop out of the grooves?  It is weird because it doesn't make any noise on the tillering tree.  I braced it a 1" and pulled it to 11" with no pop at all.  Any suggestions?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stringing noise
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:08:08 pm »
Check the angle of the string groove and how the string lays in it. Round any edges that the string comes near. Can you post pics of the nock area with the string in it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StickandString88

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:15:41 pm »
Thanks for the response Pat.  Do you think the noise could be caused by not having enough angle in the grooves?  They always seem to come out with less angle than I want.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:00:11 pm »
If you can't see any crack or splinter use your finger tips and see if you can feel anything. The lip can be used as this is very sensetive and can feel a lift you can't otherwise detect. If you can't see or feel anything then there isn't anything there - hopefully.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:01 pm »
 I agree with Scott, it sounds like your loops are too tight or you need to open up your grooves some more. I had one that used to creak, scared the beejeezes out of me everytime I pulled to full draw. It was the string loops rubbing too tight on the nock and groove.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:36 pm »
Are you sure it is not coming from the handle? Did you do a glued on handle? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline StickandString88

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:50:23 pm »
It does have a glued on handle, but I'm not sure that was where the noise was coming from.  I looked at the handle and it had not moved.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will mess with it some more when I get home from work. 

Offline StickandString88

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:51:57 pm »
Well, the noise doesn't matter now, as it lifted a splinter on the back where the limbs taper to the handle! I guess I should have rounded those edges a little more.  I could probably fix it, but I am just going to buy some more boards and keep after it.  I am trying to come up with a 50 pound bow that I can kill a deer with during Christmas break. I am looking for the most forgiving design that will hold up well.  Do you guys think I should try another pyramid bow or try something different?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 01:07:06 am »
Then forget the glued on handle. Begin with a board 1 3/8 in wide for 45# and 1.5 in wide for 50#. Do not narrow the handle. Leave the board full width until just past mid limb and narrow to 1/2 in nocks. Check the red oak buildalong on my site. Pay attention to my suggestions for grain on the board. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boardbowbuildalong.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline StickandString88

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 09:42:37 pm »
George, I am going to try to make my next one with your design.  I made one with a similar design this past summer, but with a glued on handle.  I really like the simplicity of a bow without a glued-on handle.  Shooting off the hand is too much fun! I will try to keep you updated it turns out.

AKmud

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 03:13:54 am »
Use a cotton ball to find those splinters.  Rub it up and down the back of the limbs and you will find anything that has lifted (hopefully before they aren't fixable!).