Author Topic: First two board bows  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Frode

First two board bows
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:43:37 pm »
Hello all,
Briefly, I'm new to archery and bow building since October '09, when I attended a local Renfaire event.  I'm interested in history and traditional technology, but I'm not big enough or bad enough or young enough to seriously entertain heavy combat demonstrations (ie. getting bashed on by bigger, badder, younger modern Vikings).   Someone invited me to an archery practice, my wife took archery in college and enjoyed it, and said I might too.  I was hooked, and got my first 30# fiberglass bow.  It didn't take long to see that that wouldn't do forever, and what was needed was a good wood longbow.  Which I couldn't afford, but surely I would have at least a 4% chance of being able to make one that wouldn't blow up on me too badly.  My first bow was based more or less on the instructions on the poorfolksbows.com site, a red oak board bow with a handle, 72" long, approx. 45# @28", linen backed.  Miraculously, it hasn't exploded or otherwise misbehaved, despite numerous imperfections.

My second is a maple board bow with handle, also linen backed, still in process.
My first question (of many, many yet to come) is, how much of a radius do I need on the back edges?  Both of these bows are rounded over about 1/16th max, with no sign of trouble, but they're both still young.
Here's No. 2, so far;

I feel pretty good since neither of these have broken, but I get a big dose of humble when I see all the amazing work being done here!
I'll gladly take all the advice and help you care to give.
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:11:13 pm by Frode »
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: First two board bows
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:46:45 pm »
Frode,

The pics you posted dont seem to be working.
Tell Riley

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:24:14 pm »
 great looking bows..... I am no bowyer but those look pretty good to me, go kill something with them and let us know how thay did..  ;D ;) Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:50 pm »
well just judging from the braced profile they look to be bending evenly.  We love full draw pictures here so crank em back and get a good side-view full draw pic up on each of em for us.  By the way welcome  to Primitive Archer!!!!  There is a wealth of knowledge shared here besides the nicest people in the world.  hope you enjoy your stay.   :) :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:48:38 pm »
Those are some nice looking bows.  The first time I looked the pics were not coming up.  But they are now.  dont hesitate to ask questions on this site. The guys on here are all really good guys and they will help you out with about anything you need. Get some full draw pics up, we all like to see a bow at full draw.
Tell Riley

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:59:43 pm »
You know I used to feel the same way ,when I looked at the bows on this site humbled. But now I look at as a wealth of information to keep making bows ,if we made the same style and type all the time it would get old . Very nice bows and welcome to the brotherhood .
                                                                        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Hoot

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:31:01 am »
good  job by jumping in a doing so well right out of the gate...

you may want to radius the edges to something closer to 3/16ths of an inch to help keep them from lifting a splinter.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:09:08 am »
Hey Frode: I'm impressed!!!
Is it upper limb on the left hand side on both bows?
We need FULLDRAWS!!!!!
(We are all VERY nice people here, but we have VERY short patience for MORE PICTURES!!!!  ;D ;D ;D )
Go ask many questions here, and you'll be helped!
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 04:14:12 am »
I feel pretty good since neither of these have broken, but I get a big dose of humble when I see all the amazing work being done here!

Ps: I won BOM few x's and I still get my dose of humble over here kinda often; that's the motor of it all...!
Frank from Germany...

half eye

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 08:05:19 am »
Frode,
      Those bows look good to me, they are bending, I'll bet they fling a mean arrow. Keep it up. You may not be aware of this.....this stuff gets real addictive in a real big hurry.
      These are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.....If the bows suit you that's all that matters, again they look good to me.
Half eye

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:30 am »
Good job! Full draw would show tiller and that's the name of the game. Then we could really help you. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 08:13:23 am »
Nice work,and what Jawge said. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Frode

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 12:01:06 pm »
Thanks all, for the welcome and kind words!
I'm going to increase the edge radii on both bows to the recommended 3/16ths today.  So far, the only thing I'm close to killing is the wooden leg of a target (it will be mine one day, oh yes, it will be mine).  I do like the way the red oak bow shoots, and it does deliver the arrow with a much more satisfying thump than my fiberglass bow, but beyond that I'm still too much of a noob to describe the differences.
And medicinewheel has hit on it; I want to learn to build bows, but I need to learn to do better documentation.  Full draw pics coming soon, I promise.
As for the addiction, well, that warning has come too late.  Missus Frode walked in while I was roughing out the maple bow and said, "You couldn't stop with one?!", rolled her eyes, shook her head and walked out.  She was smiling, though.
Anyway, Thanks Again,
Frode

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 12:02:21 pm »
Way to go!  I'd say you did tremendously well for being just out of the gates.  Ditto on the full draw pics.  I started with that site, also.  Then found PA a few weeks later.  I can't say enough about the help you'll get from this crew.  My next major information source was the Traditional Bowyers Bible books.  Start with the first, if you're interested.  Welcome aboard!
1’—>1’

Offline Frode

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 12:11:31 pm »
...I started with that site, also.  Then found PA a few weeks later.  I can't say enough about the help you'll get from this crew.  My next major information source was the Traditional Bowyers Bible books.  Start with the first, if you're interested.  Welcome aboard!

Thanks Parnell,
That's about what my time line was like, too.  Actually, I have the first three TBB books out from the library currently, read through all of them once so far.  I have them conspicuously placed, and have dropped broad and none too subtle hints about what great resources they are, and how the value of books goes far beyond the cover price, etc., etc... oh, Christmas is coming, you say?  I hadn't noticed. ;D
Frode