Author Topic: oregon white oak  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Blacktail

oregon white oak
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »
all right.who knows about white oak..i have a bow ruffed out...54" and was wondering this...i took the bark of and went through a few rings  :o :o...so,its the kind of wood that will stay together or should i put a backing on it..i was think about one course of sinew..but,if it don't need it i will just go with it and take a chance with it. ;D...so what do you know about this wood..thanks john

Offline Kegan

Re: oregon white oak
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »
If it's anything like the white oak we have here in PA, it's as tough if not tougher than hickory.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:29:56 pm »
Like Kegan said the Eastern white oak is very tough wood. I would guess the Western variety would also be. If you have a good back ring no other backing should be needed.   54" is pretty short. How long of a draw and what weight are you going for?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:29:14 am »
thanks guys.pat,the draw i am hoping for is 25" and weight i would like 50...but,i dont know if that is going to happen..john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 01:44:22 am »
If it starts taking too much set, put some sinew on the back.  In TBBIV Tim Baker said it is as tough or tougher than hickory. Probably hard to break but it will bend badly! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 02:00:58 am »
o.k. pat..its a 1/2" think right now and has some pritty good bend in floor tillering right now..kind of springy..SO,i am wondering if 2 courses of sinew and maybe 22"draw would be good...my dream weight is 50 but i am really happy with any..john

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 03:09:13 am »
If you actually cut through a few rings on the back I would definantly back it with something. If you have one good ring on the back is a different story.
                                                              Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 10:43:22 am »
I'd think 22" would be acceptable with the sinew backing. It is possible without it but I personally wouldn't try it.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 11:45:12 am »
Sinew backed white oak is one of the toughest combinations I've used. I have a 65" white oak flatbow, about 1 3/4" wide and backed with one mid-thickness course of sinew. I have abused this bow and its still holding together and shooting hard at 88# at 30". Backed with sinew your bow should be able to handle 50# at 25" without issue :)

Lombard

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 11:56:04 am »
When I was a teenager the very first bows that my Uncle taught me to make were all White Oak. They made nice bows
and were tough, took a great deal of adolescent abuse to break them. Never had one blow up either.