Author Topic: Squirrel Hunt  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Squirrel Hunt
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:50:42 am »
yesterday afternoon i found the luckiest squirrel in the world.  i left the house going deer hunting.  i have to cross a set of three railroad tracks to get to my stand, but when i started walking across the field the train actually stopped on the tracks.  so much for deer hunting.  i looked around and saw a squirrel feeding in some pecan trees.  i walked back to my truck and grabbed my flu flus.  i stalked up to about 20 yards of the feeding squirrel and took the shot.  i saw the fletching actually brush the squirrel across the ears.  needless to say, he didn't appreciate that a bit.  he proceeded to run to another limb and start barking at me.  i grabbed another arrow and took aim.  this time i saw the fletching brush him across the nose.  this really set him off, but he apparently learned his lesson and ran to the top of the tree and resumed his barking.  i let fly a couple more times but my flu flus couldn't do much damage at that range so i packed it up and headed home.  now i know where the luckiest squirrel lives and i'll try his luck again soon.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Squirrel Hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:32 am »
Chris:  That's funny.  Yesterday I took my bow for a walk down the river bottom in hopes of a shot at a rabbit.  This little pine squirrel was setting in a cedar snag about 20 feet away.  He was smaller than some pine cones, but braver than a badger.  I had plenty of time to think about a shot attempt and remembered a time when a little guy like this one made a fine meal for a survival treat!  My shot grazed the hair on his back and he responded with some serious scolding.  I figured my arrow was more important so went to find it.  Now I am four feet away and slightly below the mad at me, loud, tail ringing pine squirrel.  I was tempted to count coup on him with my bow tip, but instead told him I admire him for protecting his tree and went on my way laughing at how he had won my admiration!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:49 pm »
Great stories. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:50:28 pm »
 Great storys , Those little squirrels are hard targets and you are right Joe , braver than a badger.... LOL I admit hunting small game is my favorite type of hunting, lots of action and lots of chances to be humbled.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:50 pm »
Those squirrels sure make for some stories.Last sat. morning I was stand huntin' one of my favorite spots ,hoping a good buck would come by.After about 3 hours of nothing,a couple of fox squirrels caught my attention as they came my way.I had one arrow with a critter getter on it,so when one of them crossed a limb about 17 yards out in front of me,I took a shot.It hit him hard enough to knock him off the limb and ended up on the back side of a big loblolly pine.The other squirrel ended up on the ground about 20 yards out,so taking a #2 broadhead,I took a shot at him.I could tell I hit him,but the arrow did'nt go through,but looked like it sliced him pretty good.When I got down,I went to fetch my squirrels, They were'nt there.I just knew I'd find them both,but failed on both of them.The one I hit with the trade broadhead left a 50' bloodtrail,that went up a ERC,then after jumping to a big red oak,disappeared. Those foxes can be plain tough. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 11:38:25 am »
i love small game hunting. i never kill anything with a bow. always "just missed it"  ;D

great story!
lets just shoot it

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 04:33:29 pm »
yes, I agree, great story. I have "just" missed so many squirrels so far with no hits. But, great fun. I was out this morning for our added gun weekend for deer with my 54 cal flintlock. I spooked a deer going in while it was still dark. That is the first deer I have seen/heard all season, bow or flintlock. Don't know where they have gone. But, squirrel hunting is my first love. My daughter and I will have the bows back out at them next weekend.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth