Author Topic: bamboo 'rind' leave it or not?  (Read 2701 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
bamboo 'rind' leave it or not?
« on: December 13, 2009, 05:41:47 pm »
I am in the process of a new bow but all my boo is marked and scratched, but only on the surface the fibres look good, but I am nervous to scrape it down to the fibres as many bowyers suggest. Has anyone had any problems doing this???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bamboo 'rind' leave it or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 05:47:51 pm »
You have to be careful scraping the rind that you don't nick the fibers below. This usually happens as you put the scraper down on the boo or when lifting it back up at the other end of the scrape. The rind will come off the boo. Maybe try fine sand paper or a Scotch Brite pad.  Someone that knows more than me on this subject should check in soon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:43:28 pm »
I quit scraping mine so much. I use sandpaper and sand it until the boo is one even color. It can be scraped, but not pushing hard. Nice and soft until the color changes then get it all a uniform color.  You will still have to sand it after scraping.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:32:45 pm »
I started just sanding between the nodes.  I am real careful around the nodes as last bow, I sanded the nodes down to the power fibers and they started lifting.
Westminster, MD

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 07:43:08 pm »
I actually started getting more aggressive on the nodes after talking to Rich Saffold. I haven't had a problem with it yet.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »
it wasnt so much the scraping but the removal of the rind by any method, I was wondering if the back was vunerable  or more liable to  lift  fibres without it?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:48:59 am »
I actually started getting more aggressive on the nodes after talking to Rich Saffold. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

I can't figure out whats goin on.  I talked to Rich a few months ago about splinters lifting around the nodes and he told me he didn't touch em much.  Go figure.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:55:40 am »
Dragon, the rind is just a waxy coating on the outside of the cane. It shouldn't effect the power fibers unless you go too deep. On or off, it doesn't matter...unless you want to dye the boo backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 01:25:36 am »
If I'm going to dye my boo, I take off all the rind. If I'm going to leave it I just sand it lightly with 220 grit till I get a nice even color.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 08:16:24 am »
Justin, how aggressive? are you flatening the nodes right out. It ust be difficult to stop sanding exactly when you hit the fibre layer without  cutting into a little!! a little must be ok?