Author Topic: bow for cancer benefit  (Read 2149 times)

Offline jturner

bow for cancer benefit
« on: December 15, 2009, 05:43:05 am »
I just got a call that a friend has a brain tumor. Iwas asked to make a bow to donate for an auction to raise money for treatment. My question is what kind of bow would you make that will be sold to someone that may or may not know how to take care of a wood bow? I'm thinkin hickory backed osage. What else would be good? Worried about durability
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: bow for cancer benefit
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:20:49 am »
That should do it,or all Hickory,I would tiller it out to 28/29,leave it a little long and include a note to tell the winner how to care for it. :) nice jester :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:21:30 am »
Very nice of you, also you might want to get the string dead center and put a rest on both sides for lefty or righty shooters.
Traverse City, MI

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:47:03 am »
I just built a bow for some peaple to give as a christmas present ,and I included a letter attatched to the bow explaining care use and warning that bow may explode if instructions are not followed
                                        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:26:06 am »
Hickory backed Osage would be a good choice. If you're ordering the backing material make sure to do a bent/break test of some of it's scrap pieces. That procedure has saved me several bows.  I would suggest you furnish a stringer with the bow plus bow care instructions. ART

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:46:43 am »
Just a thought, auction off a "model" bow with the shape and wood type, and then make the "real" one to the winners specification afterwards.  That way if a hunter wants a hunting bow they can get what they want or if someone wants a light target bow, they are happy as well.  I've seen spouses go for things like this, that way they aren't guessing about a gift they don't know much about.  You can offer extras such as nicer wood for an additional donation to the cause (or you can just add them if the winner was very generous with their bid).  Just be sure to have an actual bow at the auction, people just don't connect as well with a piece of paper stating what they would get.  Like I said, just a thought.

Swamp

P.S. give the auctioneer an MSRP for the bow one way or another so they know how hard to push.  Maybe a "suggested" starting bid on the bow or something if you can't talk to someone?
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:53:34 am »
i've given several to charity auctions.  the usually do real well.  I do just as pappy said.  I sent a letter with shooting instructions and care & maintenance.  I also give some warnings about over drawing and taking precautions when shooting.  Oh and you have to make some arrows to go with it.  And i always send a bow stringer, every single time.  And i print instruction with clear pictures on how to use a bow stringer.  You would be surprised out how people will try and string a bow.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:20:37 am »
What kind of auction of your talking about? If it's not archery related you may be sorely disappointed in what it'll bring. Selling raffle tickets to friends, at bow clubs, archery shops and archery events will produce better results IMO. Enlist their aid as well in selling the tickets.

Remember, your likes and dislikes really don't apply here. Make the bow more shootable by adding a rest and perhaps contouring the handle. Dress it up, but most important, make it durable. A heck of a lot more traditional shooters out there then primitive. ART

Offline jturner

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:43:08 pm »
Thanks guys i think im gonna go with a hickory backed osage. Just overbuild it a little. Would 70 inches tillered to 30 inches be too much?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:54:58 pm »
JT, I built a bow last year that was raffled of at the NC State Shoot in Herb Reynold's honor. I opted to build a American longbow style about 68" long and it drew 45#@28"(I tillered out to beyond 29") and had a double shelf handle(added, not cut in). I figured this would be a more generic bow style and would fit a larger group of folks. Do a search for "Herb's Bow" sometimes last spring for details.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:33:21 pm »
Durability and bow care is very important when dealing with the uninitiated. Good things generally doesn't happen when you put these types of bows in there hands. Last couple raffle bows I made were 66" BBO set @ 28" draw length. But drawn to 30" for insurance. ART