Author Topic: Book Reprint?  (Read 9655 times)

Rod

Re: Book Reprint?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 07:07:46 am »
Friend of mine said just the other day that he had bought a copy on my recommendation and found it a "difficult" read.

I was momentarily speechless. I can only wonder how he ever got throught Sumption and suggested that he did not attempt the Yale Unversity Press "English Monarchs" series of paperbacks which I found quite interesting, particularly on the politics, law and economics.

Whilst Wadge's "Arrowstorm" is well researched and detailed, it is not a massive tome and is by no means a "difficult" read.
It is very much about the economic and social context, but it is not tedious or over complicated.
But it is not "Harlequin" or "The White Company" or a picture book.

IMO everyone with an interest in the topic should have a copy.

Rod.

Offline Oorlogsboog

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 04:45:29 pm »
I have both.
Arrowstorm was a bit hard to come by, but is indeed an 'easy' read compared to the Great Warbow, which I got for X-mas and am now hooked on  ;D

Either way, I find both books great sources of information. Guess it's the same as with shooting the Big Sticks... it depends on how far you want to go.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Offline Loki

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 05:52:37 pm »
Historical books can be a bit hard going sometimes but I enjoyed the Great Warbow,I thought it was a good read  ;D.
'An Imperial Possession, Britain in the Roman Empire' by David Mattingly is a difficult read.I've had that book for six years and I'm still not half way through it!  >:D
Durham,England

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 10:17:14 pm »
For those interested, I asked Marston's the UK publisher if they had plans to re-print it and received this reply:

"I'm afraid this one is reprint under consideration, no date as advised
by the Publisher
"

So may have to buy one of the overpriced ones on offer through the net. I ordered one from Amazon UK 6 months ago when they still claimed to have copies, however by the time they processed my order their stock had gone, so although I am on their list for one when the receive more stock, it seems that will not be for a while. Will have to cancel the order.

Craig.

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 03:48:50 pm »
I'd have to agree with other members here and reccommend "Arrowstorm"
It's an excellently researched book and very easy to read, which is a difficult combination when your writing a historical text.

Offline Davepim

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 05:00:08 am »
It's a shame though that "The Great Warbow" is out of print; I would certainly have liked to add that to my bookshelf as well!

Dave

Offline Oorlogsboog

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Offline Davepim

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 05:36:25 am »
Still a few available online...:

http://www.abebooks.de/servlet/SearchResults?&sortby=3&kn=+great%20+warbow%20&submit5.x=25&submit5.y=10&afn_sr=ZanoxDE&cm_ven=am&cm_ite=zan&zanpid=1326122981642169344

(Ignore the first on the list..  >:D )

Thanks for that! Though I note that most copies seem to be second hand - at least they are not too expensive!

Dave

Rod

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 02:06:54 pm »
It may be that Quicks still have "The Great Warbow". Probably worth checking.
In the UK, Paul Meekins is a reputable dealer in archery related books but if there is currently an excess of demand and a temporary shortfall in supply the price may be on the high side.
An Abe Books price will be a good indicator as to the current second hand market value.
Also do a search on UKBookworld.com

Rod.