Author Topic: Ash long bow...61.73lbs @ 30"  (Read 13784 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Ash long bow...61.73lbs @ 30"
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 12:42:32 am »
Simple, elegant and classic. A bow can't get much nicer than that one. Very nice!
Gordon

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 06:59:01 am »
Thanks for all thet helpfull info, your english is very good. Sounds like your ash is much denser than the ash over here, I dont know how you are measuring the density? but according to books ash over here is  0.6- 0.65, I think, your getting some good ash and you have some good tillering skills, I have seen hard ash but is usally the heart wood of big trees , a 4" ash over here is no harder than a sycamore!! but it is very wet climate here and the small trees grow very fast!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 07:15:24 am »
Very nice looking bow,tiller is dead on,love that shot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dantolin

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 08:08:33 am »
Nice bow, Akila,Congratulations.
Ce mai face? ;)
I really have to give a try to ash. we also have ash here, but fraxinus angustifolia. (Spain, eastern coast)
This winter I'll cut a branch that I've seen pretty nice.
Adio,
David

Offline akila

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 11:27:04 am »
Mui bien david..gracias.... ;D.....good luck with your project.....
   Dragonman ,,i  measure the density like this....s small piece of wood....lets say 1" wide 1" thick, and  3.54" long....i  put in in the watter.....0.79 of the wood left outside of the watter...so this is something arrounde 0.77 density.....i think this is the  metod used to measure the density of a certain wood....i hope im not mistaking...
 Also something els that u should have in mind whenn u make a flat bow is that a verry wide limb will also  have much resistent to air friction... so 2,5" wide i think is a little to much...try to make your libs arrounde 1.57" wide and see what happents...and also iff u make a flat bow stiff handle,  try make the bow a little longer.....something like 70", for a 28" draw lenght...and make the last 6" of the tips as light as u can....good luck..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:37:21 am by akila »

Offline akila

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 11:41:48 am »
Like all you bows, a joy to behold.

Dave

Hi Dave...i wanna thks you for your PM...i  have send u 4 messages back to u...i dont know iff they arrived to u...so this is why i decided to say thks. for your message here.. ;)....and i wish u the best of luck with your book......i wanted to send u some links with some nice band that wi have here in romania...but i dont think here is the right place to do that...becose it will be offtopic...maybe i will try to send u PM> again...i hope it will work....thks again...and sorry for this offtopic message...

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 11:49:55 am »
wow nice bow there akila!!!  the tiller on that one is perfect.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 12:16:12 pm »
I too enjoy the elbs. I sure have made alot,  learned early on, ash is the best choice second to yew, Which I have none. Hickory and balck cherry and some other white woods seem to develop compression cracks, However ash didn't. The ash is not quite as snappy as the hickory, But will out do it in the long haul. I also think it stains really nice. As for the tip , I never cut in to the backing anymore than I have too. What has been said will do nicely. However if you was to dip about the tips an inch or too in glue  , I would think that should work, if you don.t have the money for horns. and a tip overlay is a grand idea and will dress up the bow. great job ...Denny in america