Author Topic: handle placement  (Read 1314 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
handle placement
« on: December 14, 2009, 04:38:28 am »

Hey guys!
 OK so I was wondering about handle placement. Generally when i make a bow i find the center of the bow. I make a line to mark it, then i find the size of hand going to shoot and put that measurement on either side of the center. So That way you canshoot at center, and still comfortably hold the bow. I've seen, bows with 4 1'2" - 6" handleswith the center of the bow in the center of the handle. Making it shoot somewhat about center. I have also seenbows with the handle below center, and then one limb is longer then the other.

With my method, there is less limb bending, due to the added handle space, though both limbs bend symmetrical (if all designs were the same length)
with the second placement, both limbs bend the same, but your shooting a few inches off center.
And the third placement, you have an asymmetrical tiller.

What are the pros and cons of all these for prefromance
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: handle placement
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:36:27 am »
The dissadvantage of your method is you end up with a longer bow than is necessary and a long stiff 'riser' in the middle.
Also your assertion that it is symetrical isn't quite right, the nocking point/arrow pass may be central but you are gripping below centre which will mean the leverage on the limbs is not the same. If your arm and hand are like a rigid clamp than your threory would be fine, but of course your 'grip' is more flexible and more like a pivot.
But it's a matter of choice, just about anything will work and the beauty of bow making is that there is often no 'right' answer.
My preference is for a short grip with the arrow pass no more than 1" above centre.
It all becomes more critical as the bow gets shorter.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:59:53 am »
would would the draw back be in a long stiff riser? Apart from obviously the overall lengthening of the bow. Also how would the lengthening of the bow be a draw back. As far as preformance? I can absolutley see that the longer the bow in a hunting situation would mean the larger the likelyhood of you making noise by moving the brush around you. Unless you're hunting in an open feild, or from a tree blind.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:23:46 am »
Having recently made an 89" bow I can vouch for the dissadvantes of a long bow :).
I have no personal axe to grind, (well strickly speaking, I do have an axe or two... ::) ) I just like to see as much bow as possible working, I don't like the look of modern target bows or compounds with huge risers. You build 'em how you like 'em, as I said there is no 'right' way to make up.
All down to personal taste, bear in mind you are talking to a cat :o
Del
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:02:13 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.