Author Topic: Tiller Help  (Read 3964 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Tiller Help
« on: December 11, 2009, 08:22:47 pm »
I just got this bow strung up and was needing some help with the tiller.  I think I may be close to being done, I know the tiller is off but just need some advice on where to work on it.  I think the bottom limb may be good, but the top needs some work.

Any and all advice is aprecited.
Thanks again for all the help you guys give me on this site.

RileyConcrete

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tell Riley

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Tiller Help
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 08:45:49 pm »
Your bottom limb is a good bit weaker than the top and pretty hingy right out of the fades. The top limb needs to bend more for the first 8" out of the fades and has about a foot long stiff spot right where the yellow paint on your wall meets the ceiling.

Make a tillering gizmo, hunt the stiff spots and avoid the weak spots.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047;p=0

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:53:20 pm »
We would need an unbraced side and back profile to determine your braced profile. ART

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:59:21 pm »
ART
Here is an unbraced side and back profile.

Tell Riley

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:43 pm »
And some more

Tell Riley

Offline woodstick

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:11:15 pm »
looks like a cool piece of wood, you got stiff spots on top bout a third way up from the fades bottom is a little stiff in bout the same area and a tad weak out of the fades. you need to get a tiller tree that way you can step back and watch it work and see it from a distance. it will help alot.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:10:26 am »
First thing I would suggest you do is get the bow's back to a finish grade stage. Round and smooth up all your edges to prevent splinters from lifting. Once you have that done you'll be ready to tweak your tiller and reduce weight (that's if you have any to spare).

How about some specs? Bow length, even or uneven limb length and distant of arrow pass above center (incorrect grip can change a bow's drawn profile). It would also help to know your desired draw length to help determine a correct draw profile. ART

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:21:27 pm »
ART

Its 66 1/2in N/N.  draw will be 29 in.  The arrow will pas about 2 inches above center.  I have no draw weight really,  I dont even know where it is at right now.  But guessing to be aroud 60-65.  Wouldnt mind if it is 45-55 or so.  this is only the second bow, the first was not perfect tiller because of sme hinges but I made it work out the best I could.  I just want to to come out so I can shoot it.  Therefore the weight is no big issue.

Its 1.5 wide at the fades and about 7/8 at the tips.

I will work on getting it smoothed up and tiller a little at a time and keep posting pics to get this thing tillered out right.
Thanks for your help
Tell
Tell Riley

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 11:55:16 pm »
Tell....That is going to be a Sweet Bow when You work out the Bugs....I really like the Character of the Stave that You Chose....Looks to me like the Top Limb needs to bend more from Mid to Tip....Bottom is a little stiff out of the Fade...but there is a lot of Personality in the Wood there too...but I am with Art too...you need to round over the Edges to prevent Splinters....smooth the edges out and make sure that there are no nicks or dents in the Back....because this is the Time to find and fix these problems before they become fatal to the Bow....I would definitely leave the Bottom alone for now and concentrate on the Top Limb....JMO

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 09:34:09 am »
Your grip looks good for your arrow pass layout. I think once you start drawing your bow from the correct position that your lower limb will come round a bit more. In the drawn pic that you put up, the profile looks decent for what you need, it's just that your rectangular limb design won't get you there. That design is better suited for an elliptical tiller and for shorter draws IMO.

You need to go ahead and work your tip width down to around 1/2". With that long draw you should have more of a semi-pyramid back profile look to your bow. Right now you need to do your tillering at mid-limb from the sides of the limbs. Taking wood from the sides of limbs is a good way to remove some unwanted physical weight and that will help with reducing some hand shock as well.

Keep us informed, things are looking good. ART

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 09:50:59 am »
Round off those edges and give the top limb some scrapes as per El Destructo's last lost and you should be ok. If you lower your arrow pass position you may not have to scrape the top.  That's a pretty challenging stave and you've done well with it.  Do take frequent checks with the digi. Feel free to post them here. A full length mirror or a window at night works too. for that view while drawing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:42:15 pm »
Hey guys

I just wanted to let you know that I have been working on my bow, I just had a busy weekend.  Well I got it sanded down and have it marked out where I need to do a little scrapeing and I will work on that tonite or tommorow evening, excercise the limbs and get some pictures put up.

Thanks again for all your help

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 12:38:47 am »
here is a new draw picture The edges and back and sides are sanded, I did a little more scrapeing. Let me know where I need to go frome here.
thanks
Tell

Tell Riley

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 12:41:35 am »
it look really good. i am still new to giving advice tho so here it goes. the upper limb looks stiffer than the bottem limb.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 01:08:24 am »
                                    Looks better...but I would still work the Mid to Tips on both Limbs...JMO

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome