Author Topic: Black Locust/Silk?  (Read 1904 times)

PeteDavis

Black Locust/Silk?
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:55:22 am »

I have access to a lot of black locust boards. Assuming I find one with no run outs and pretty clear, would this make a decent BB with silk or linen? Which of those two is a better backing? Does kiln drying impair a BB if it is fully weatherproofed?

I like the big cannons, 68-72", D shape and wide. Maybe the least risky design, mass does not bother me. I like the silence. Do I still need to trap the edges in a slight "D" profile with fabric backing on a BL longbow?

I also figure I can cover the fabric with snake skins once the bow performs.

PD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Locust/Silk?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:59:29 am »
Locust is quite strong in tension so if you have a good back ring there is no need for a backing and especially with a long, bendy handle bow. Don't make your belly too deep. Locust prefers a flat belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

PeteDavis

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:07:40 am »
Probably no back ring on a board. Will silk slow it down???

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 11:15:39 am »
i would look for straight quarter sawn boards
then there wont be a need to back them and no worries for run off if you get
a good quarter sawn board
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:19:20 am »
Sorry Pete. I missed that it was a board. ::)  Silk would be a good backing candidate because it is light in weight but very strong.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 11:38:00 am »
I used to do a lot of silk backed BL bows. Have done many silk backed board bows too. But never did a silk backed board BL bow. LOL. Let me know how it turns out. Having down BL sapling bows with sapwood backs and heartwood in the belly I know that can be an issue. Let me know how it goes. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:09:53 pm »
Pete,I have not tried the combination your asking about,but,as far as silk as a backing,it's great. I personally can't see a difference in performance between an unbacked bow,and one with a silk backing.  Linen is stronger,but,it does seem to slightly slow it down.  JMO   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas