Author Topic: Yew bow #3 Updated  (Read 6828 times)

Mar

Yew bow #3 Updated
« on: December 10, 2009, 10:48:33 pm »
Some will remember seeing this stave; yeah got the other one on hold for now;

Started shaping and chasing ring, ends need to be done but this stave has one heck of a propeller twist to it. Here some pictures of it now.
Nice end and sapwood is basically 1/4" and no more then 3/8"

The end that is not so nice. Rings take a dip to one side. Problem maybe?

So...still good? Yah!?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:49:23 pm by Mar »

Offline adb

Re: Yew bow #3
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:32:19 am »
I can't wait to see what you come up with. Very nice looking stave.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:37:00 am »
come on mar...get to ripping that stuff down ;D...john

Mar

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:50:51 am »
Almost have it shaped but...looking at that last picture. How should I tackle it? I need to untwist mainly both limbs from both side of the handle it looks like. That bad end, (Last picture), looks like the heartwood takes of like that for 4-6 inches but I'm not totally certain.

What would you do? Stave is 6' long X 1 1/4" at handle, wide and thick now.

Here's a better picture after cutting a slice off, doesn't really look that bad I guess.

Left about 1/2" heartwood at the lowest point of the sapwood so far, now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:50:56 am by Mar »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 06:29:48 am »
No prob, that bit of twist seems to be there somewhere along the length of most Yew staves I get to play with, just forget the ring following stuff when you get too much twist and shape it as if the wood was all the same (e.g don't differentiate between heart and sap) although don't go so far as to ever remove all of one or the the other...
Errrr, I hope that makes sense.
The last bow I made had a patch about 5" from one end where, viewed from one side the limb was 60% heart, but viewed from the other it was 99.9% heart (I think I just about kept a sliver of sap wood just to make it look right)
That's the fun of working staves, the difference between theory and practice.
Have fun.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 08:02:33 am »
What twist...??  8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 06:08:30 pm »
I agree... that's nuthin'. Just go ahead and make a bow. If it's not going to be too heavy in the draw weight department, don't worry about chasing 1 ring on the sapwood. Yew can handle some small ring violations.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:16:51 pm »
This may be a silly question but do you follow the grain on yew also? I'm just asking because this one is so straight.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Mar

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:56:33 pm »
This may be a silly question but do you follow the grain on yew also? I'm just asking because this one is so straight.

I try to follow the way the stave split so yeah I kind of follow it though I believe chasing a ring is more important, but I'm new at this.

Hard to show the twist in pictures so took a couple more. I laid the stave near level at the far end and this more or less shows what I will need to untwist. It's a real propeller.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 02:49:20 am »
That twist really isn't bad once you start tillering you probably won't even notice it.
SW Utah

Mar

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:43:19 pm »
I think I'm starting to see it at one end what you are saying.

arc

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 03:08:59 pm »
kill it with the bandsaw and see if it breaks!

Mar

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 03:29:37 pm »
I'm slowly working on it but I'll be moving soon so getting ready for that so not much time spent on it. I got it to the long string stage but will attempt to get some of that twist out today.
She's bending pretty good but still on the heavy side, glad to have finally received my TB #1 book.

Mar

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 02:00:31 am »
Well it's been almost a year and decided to get back at her again. As some may remember, my first attempt blew up on me. I recently been working away at this one and wish I could find my books again to refresh my memories about this bow building business.

Bow is still on long tiller string, got to make a new one before this frayed old one goes. I am thinking I may shorten this bow as it may be my best bet to handle the twist and get the string to align better...not sure about that yet. Bow seems to have taken some set, maybe two inches and I still need to lighten it some. these piece of wood already have a set look to them. I may try my hand at adding recurve tips but we;ll see.

So here are some updated pictures and please tell me what you see wrong. For one it looks like the right limb needs more work for now.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 05:07:00 am »
I'd say the outer half of the right limb needs to work more and the mid left limb at the knot, don't leave it too stiff let it flex, that knot should be fine.
I'd say remove most of the raised area by the grip to let the whole thing flex a bit, that removes the whole 'stress concentration at the fades problem' and gives you a longer working limb, minimising sress.
You can build up the grip area with leather when you've finished it if you want to. Gotta get the brain away from the American style of bow...think medieval ELB (not the victorian tosh) >:D
Also get the short string on it, those tips are back to bracing height now, it will make a difference to how it feels. (or wind the string through a string shortener... scrap of wood with two holes in it)
Del
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:27:44 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.