Author Topic: Old Points  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Michael C.

Old Points
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:12:42 am »
I don't know if this is the right area for posting points that have been found, but I thought you guys might enjoy these. My Grandpa on my Dads side was one of those guys that just always enjoyed learning and doing things. He lived in the Oklahoma Panhandle and would go out into the fields after they would plow them and look for heads and other stuff that might have been turned over. I remember every time we would go up to visit him that was one of the first things I would ask him is if I could look at the arrowheads that he had and if he had found any new ones. He had quite a collection and my Grandma told me he wanted me to have all of the points he had collected over the years after his funeral. People had been coming and going to the house and we went out to the workshop that he always used to do his woodworking and stuff in to get them. She started looking through his drawers and got really distressed when she couldn't find all of the points, because he always kept his tools and shop very organized. I guess when he knew he was getting ready to pass on he had packed everything up for me and asked her to give it to me, but these are the only ones that were left. I know he had 3 or 4 really nice spear sized heads, some knives and also what were scrapers or hawk heads, but we couldn't find them anywhere in the shop. Well most of the ones that were left over were chipped up and rough looking, but I was glad to get these just because of the memories that I had of sitting with him and having him tell me where he had found each one.

I don't have any idea what types of points these are and have started to veer towards knapping and pulling myself back because I still have a lot to learn about bows but I will probably start chipping at the next OJam, so I need to get ready and do some larnen'  ;D

All the points together and the ones below are from left to right.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:55:21 pm by Michael C. »
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Old Points
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:28:38 am »
It's a Shame that someone beat you out of what was to be Yours...and stole the Memories that they held between you and your grandfather...I too had this happen between Me and my favorite Uncle....he willed Me His Browning Automatic 12 Gauge that was from back in the 1915 And a 1894 Winchester from the same year....well I got the Winchester...but my Uncle Charlie beat My Dad to the Shotgun....and sold it to pay off His Bar Tab at the local Pub....for like 60 bucks....even back in the 60's...that was way too cheap!

You Guys that can walk through a Field and find Points amaze Me....I walk through and find every Cocklebur and Grass Burr there are....and every pile of Deer Crap....but never have I seen a Point or anything that resembles one!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:13:50 am »
That is a really nice collection, quite a mix of stone.  Thankyou for sharing.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:08:03 pm »
Yeah Destructo it's hard to see that sort of thing happen especially right after someones funeral, later on we found out that a rifle he had out in the shop was also missing. My Grandpa always said if someone was willing to thief something they must need it worse than you :) The really important part for me was being able to get to know him better, I was adopted by my Dad and my childhood was truly a mixed up situation like pretty much everyone else  ;D, but my Grandpa was one of the neatest people I ever met. I remember the first time we went out to their house so I could meet them and my Grandma answered the door and answered my Dads question of where my Grandpa was real casual. "Oh hes out on that motorcycle of his trying to rope prairie dogs." Of course I was 7 or 8 at the time and roping prairie dogs didn't sound that ridiculous to me, it actually sounded down right practicle and fun. Apparently someone was building a new grain elevator and they had a prairie dog village where the site was and they were going to poison them. My Grandpa was sort of a conservationist, he tried to bring red squirrels to the panhandle and had two or three living around his house when he died that he had raised, but that's another story. He decided he was going to relocate the prairie dog village to an area where they wouldn't be bothered though and went to ropin'. I think he got 15 or 20 relocated before they decided to just go ahead and do the deed faster. Those are the things that can't be taken away though I guess is what I am getting at, so they got his stuff, but I have his memories. I win :)
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:42:37 pm »
I hear Ya Michael...I know that I missed out on a Lot when I moved here from Upper Michigan....even though I went back every Summer for a Month...I missed out on my Baby Sisters growing up into beautiful Women....missed a lot of Years with my Mom and dad....lost almost all of My Family now to Age....and I berely spent  2 years with them in the last 24....thse are things that We can't get back....so if there is anything I would pass on to the Younger Generation on here....it is.......never take Time for granted....and cherish every minute You have with the Ones that You Love....because Old Man Time is a Cruel Bastard.....He won't give You a Second Chance...And if You turn Your Back on Him....he'll Steal Your Loved Ones before You know it...........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:27:31 pm »
Nice collection there Michael...  too bad about the thief in the family, i know what that`s like.
  My brother helped himself to a lot of our father`s tools & things that he & I had aquired together
 over the years.  The 1 thing that no one can take away from you though is the memories that
you have of a great person like your grandpa.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.