Author Topic: Not sure how I feel about this one yet, new cedar bow  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Not sure how I feel about this one yet, new cedar bow
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 04:50:14 am »
i love the shape and the contrasting wood handle you put on. 
i hope you were hoping for a tiller check, cause you got it in spades!

hey del: where is that tiller tree set up, a new york city alleyway?

LOL, Nope, it's in my garage in Harlow England.
Doncha love the exploded switchpoint motif on the wall?
The bathroom is above the garage and water must have leaked into the switch before we owned the property. Adds a touch of class :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 12:57:52 pm »
When you're finished making some tiller adjustments, you might want to increase your brace height a couple of inches. Try and make it about 6" from the back of the bow.

Offline StanM

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 01:07:17 pm »
Others on here are much more qualified to comment on the bowyering.  My only thought is that you might find you get a more efficient bow if you can extend your draw length a bit, even if it costs you some of the weight.  I believe you will find you shoot the same weight arrow at the same speed, or better, if you get back to 27" and 60 pounds as you will get shooting 24" and 70 pounds, longer power stroke.  Something about the draw pic looks a little "hunched up" to me, for lack of a better term.  I like to see "relaxed" draw pics.  Just a suggestion.
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline KShip85

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 01:46:13 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys, I have started scraping and am already seeing improvement.  I'll be sure to post some more pics as soon as I get a little more scraping done.  Thanks again all, I really cannot help but feel this is a little like a university except much more efficient in terms of actually getting students to learn.  Maybe some of our higher education facilities could take a lesson from all you great folks on here!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Innocente

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 02:10:54 pm »
i agree 'ship, it's more like trade education, where other, more proficient tradesmen give you advice mid task on your craft. 

Offline sulphur

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 08:59:39 pm »
ship & innocente, remember good tiller is faster than high draw weight.  develop a good eye for tiller and keep your tips light and you'll have some fast bows.   Ship thats wide limb design should handle long draw, after you scrape it down and get them limbs bending you'll probably be close to that 70# @ 27 or 28".