Author Topic: HHB  (Read 8595 times)

Offline 0209

HHB
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:48:50 pm »
Hey everyone,

I just bought a nice piece of HHB off of ebay and it measures about 4" X 4" X 60" (for only 20 bucks! ;D) and was curious as to what kind of bow to make from it.  The piece itself is nice in size as you can tell and well, I planned on cutting multiple staves out of it by the use of a table saw.  While this seems the right route to take in my perspective, how would you guys do it?
I was going to try and make like a mini-elb since it's only 60 inches, but if you guys have any other recommendations I'm all ears.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline RyanY

Re: HHB
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:54:16 pm »
Marc St Louis makes a lot of bows from HHB and elm. If I had the tools I would attempt to make a deflex recurve like him. Good luck.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:51:59 pm »
What's your draw? I'd make a flatbow about 1.5 in wide and let it bend in the handle. It's an actual 4x4? It's been cut into block form? Should be good for a couple of bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

banoch

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:43:42 am »
Hey everyone,

I just bought a nice piece of HHB off of ebay and it measures about 4" X 4" X 60" (for only 20 bucks! ;D) and was curious as to what kind of bow to make from it.  The piece itself is nice in size as you can tell and well, I planned on cutting multiple staves out of it by the use of a table saw.  While this seems the right route to take in my perspective, how would you guys do it?
I was going to try and make like a mini-elb since it's only 60 inches, but if you guys have any other recommendations I'm all ears.
SO THAT WAS YOU??????????????? >:( >:( >:(   ;)

Kirkll

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 01:21:28 am »
new guy here.... could someone translate HHB for me?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:36:33 am »
hop hornbeam
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:38:02 am »
Hop Horn Beam
a.k.a. ironwood

nice stuff,i just so happen to have a stave in the shop just waiting for me to get inspired by it.
but my deminishing rock pile keeps calling to me
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline 0209

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:01:40 am »
Banoch, was that you that I bought the HHB from? O:) ;) ;)
Looked like a great piece of wood to work with and I decided to bid on her and what do ya know...I got lucky.
Well if it was you I bought the HHB from, I suppose it's a small world.  I try and do the wood justice...:)
Have a good one.
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline 0209

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:04:45 am »
Ah, and to answer your questions, my draw is about 27" or so.  But I like to tiller my bows to 28" just in case I wanna give'em away to friends.  So for the purpose of this thread, we'll say it's 28.
I'm looking for a heavy bow, somewhere in the range of like 80-100#.  I know 60" is a little short to work with, but is it possible?
-Unknown

radius

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 04:18:58 am »
sounds like you have enough wood to saw 4 1x2's (1.5" x 1.5")...why not try to make four bows of different styles and poundages?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 08:36:19 am »
Sure it is possible,IW is pretty tough but I wouldn't try and get 80lbs at 28 on a piece that short.
Is it a stave with the back already to go or sawed like a board ? You might want to back it if you want to draw it that far with that much weight. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 08:53:18 am »
No way I would turn a stave into boards :o

Like Pappy said that asking to much for a 60" stave, especially if your just beginning. I would rather get a usuable 50# bow than $20 of firewood :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:08 am »
Be sure you let the handle bend. Forget about 28 in. Tiller to 26 in. You may ease into 27" depending on tiller. No narrowed handle. No recurving or reflexing. 80# is asking a lot at 28 " for a 60" stave. Like I said, yo have 2 staves there if you rip it. Back it with silk, linen, burlap or rawhide. Above all have fun. L
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 02:11:32 pm »
Ironwood is a great bow wood. Keep the saw away from it. Make a nice selfbow out of it.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 08:49:21 pm »
man, i've dying to get my hands on some HHB ever since i saw marc's deflex recurve.  I do have elm and osage though.  will probably try it with those pretty soon.  I have seen a few bamboo backed HHB's that were cut from boards.  there is a feller in central texas that gets it shipped to him from Minnesota and has is cut at the mill.  been trying to swap him something for some.