Author Topic: Ironwood D bow  (Read 2339 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Ironwood D bow
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:50:48 am »
this weekend I'm going to the local lumber yard and try to find a nice board or two of some ironwood.  Gotta have something to work on while my oak staves are seasoning. 

I have a 26 inch draw but want to tiller out to 27".  Wanting a full compass tiller type of bow around 75lbs.  Anyone have and experience on the starting dimensions for the width.

I was thinking of starting with 1.5" wide and 1" depth and start the taper from 12-14" from the tips to 5/8" tips

Thanks, Nam

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Ironwood D bow
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:26:40 am »
That should get the weight you want. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:19:40 am »
Sounds good. But where will you find an ironwood board? Red oak, maple are widely available at lumberyards here in NH. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:39:28 am »
Sounds good. But where will you find an ironwood board? Red oak, maple are widely available at lumberyards here in NH. Jawge

dont know about ironwood, but islandpiper found an osage board, so i would assume you could find it.
lets just shoot it

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:02:40 pm »
One of my classmates works at a local lumber yard and told me they got this new stuff in called ironwood...said its heavier than water.  I was so happy when my friend told me.  He said they had hickory and maple too...said they could get pretty much any kind of hardwood...I gotta ask him about the possibility of some osage orange boards

I cannot find any hornbeam trees around my area which makes the boards my main option...hopefully I can find some straight grained boards.

As for length NTN I am not sure.  Will 68 inches nock to nock be long enough or two long?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:18:02 pm by aznboi3644 »