Author Topic: Todays "chippings"  (Read 2341 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Todays "chippings"
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:38:28 pm »
Sat down this evening and chipped these out.  A Dalton, a something and another something :-\
 The Dalton is TX rock. The biggest one is high ridge Burlington, and the little one is flint river.
I plan to haft the big one and might make a little "mini dagger" fron that little flint river piece.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Todays "chippings"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:40:28 pm »
Wow Nice work . Any one of them would lok good hafted onto a handle.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:04:47 pm »
once again INCREDIBLE work
the one onthe left looks like some i seen in the smithsonian,nice work
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:02:23 pm »
Some more nice one's Shannon! It's nice to just sit down one evening and pop a few out ain't it ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:27:37 pm »
Dang Shannon, that is some nice chipping. I really like the last pic that shows the pressure flaking. Just curious, you using an ishi stick or a hand flaker to get those long flakes?  Those are some nice blades!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »
Tim, there you go using them big words again ::)
 Yea Paul, funny how one minute I don't want to even think about knapping and 10 minutes later...pop pop pop, I'm at it again. ;D
Steven, I rarely use an Ishi stick. I mostly just use a hand flaker and a little piece of leather to protect my palm. Most times when I pick up my Ishi stick, I wind up overshooting the flakes and clipping the opposite edge off. >:(
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 08:39:19 am »
Seeing as you don't like praise Shannon I will say "You Suck" :D

Nice work as always buddy :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 09:26:53 am »
I don't care if you don't like praise...you're simply an artist with stone in my opinion. Every great once in a while someone comes along with a god given gift of eye and hand...the perfection I've seen with everything you've displayed either knifes, bows, or flintknapping demonstrates to me that you're one of those rare people.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:44:40 am »
Nice looking points Shanon,very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:13:51 am »
Shannon:  You keep up that kind of work and I am just going to have to adopt you!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:30:08 am »
Does that mean you'd take me elk hunting...Daaaad ;D

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:50:53 am »
Yep, there was a big herd bedded down all day yesterday on the hill across the road.  The real problem is out of state tags are expensive.  Mike Hawk Huston took one of his neighbors (this fellow was mauled by a grizzley last sprin and nearly died) that had never hunted elk up the Greybull River last week and they saw over a thousand head of elk.  That doesn't make for a harvest, if the fellow misses.  It was the fellow's first horse back elk hunt.  They saw nine wolves!  And yes son, you get a license and I will take you elk hunting!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight