Author Topic: New Year Shooting at the Medieval Butts  (Read 52699 times)

Offline adb

Re: New Year Shooting at the Medieval Butts
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 11:38:16 pm »
 :D :D :D

Rod

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 08:16:44 am »
 :o

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 11:19:06 am »
Seems to be an excess of testosterone in this group.  I guess it goes with the territory  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Cromm

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 05:20:31 pm »
GGGGRRRRRRRRRR Beat Chest GGGRRRRRR
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Rod

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 10:45:12 am »
I'm easy to find at an NFAS Field shoot. I'm the one carrying an armchair between the pegs....

But seriously, it would be nice to see more of you blokes shooting in field archery, there is nothing to prevent you since the only criteria are that you have sufficient command of the bow to shoot safely (which is something required of everyone), mark your shafts clearly as first, second and third arrows, write your name on every shaft and use piles or field points.
There is no restriction on draw-weight as such, only an arrow speed limit of 300 fps.
And bowhunting was after all not unknown to our ancestors.

The second time I met Mark Stretton was at an NFAS field shoot.

It seems to me that Alistair has made a sensible enough decision about awarding the purse from an attendance point of view. The rules as they stand will probably encourage more heavy bow entrants than awarding it on hits.
But it is the publishing of hits that will inform us more usefully and set a benchmark that will be a starting point for more serious consideration of the question of accuracy.

Rod.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:32:17 pm by Rod »

Offline outcaste

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 03:40:33 pm »
Just to give a flavour of what to expect, here are some pics of a roving shoot that had some butts as part of the rove.

Cheers,
Alistair
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:56:28 pm by outcaste »

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 06:46:58 pm »
I'The rules as they stand will probably encourage more heavy bow entrants than awarding it on hits.
But it is the publishing of hits that will inform us more usefully and set a benchmark that will be a starting point for more serious consideration of the question of accuracy.

Rod.
???
I don't understand this comment?
When I have shot at a BL-BS clout, on a number of occasions, the prize has been a trophy and the acknowledgment of one’s peers.  Cash never came into it, nor did it necessarily need to.  As the numbers of hits are recorded, is that not enough?  This thread is about a war arrow butt shoot once practised every Sunday by thousands? Come on Rod, no need for Freudian deflection with the field shooting, come and shoot and put down that benchmark you talk of. 

Rod

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:25 am »
In my view the prize at clout shooting is an understanding of the process and since you have shot some clout there should be no need to elaborate further on the role of luck.

Whilst it is true that to a certain extent that by careful practice we make our own luck, you should understand from your own experience that such a target and system of scoring as is proposed will not usefully represent the distribution of the arrows shot on the day.

In due course, I may choose to make a heavier bow and I may choose to spend some time working with it. In such an event I may choose to post some results.
In the meantime you may find it more rewarding to work on your own shooting.

Rod.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 10:24:48 am »
I have to agree with your points Rod.

I have no doubt your tentative step towards the possibility at least actually making and shooting a heavy bow will stand you in good stead as the 'English Warbow' moderator.
In the meantime I will, as ever, continue to work on my own warbow shooting...by actually shooting one.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 02:31:55 pm by Yeomanbowman »

Rod

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 10:31:20 am »
And I will remain in anticipation of some meaningful reports on the topic of accuracy attainable when you and your friends feel able to confront the issue.

Rod.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 12:02:16 pm »
I don't know how you can possibly say that, If azncourt was fought in a wood with the french no more than 30 yards away then yep NFAS Field shooting is the way to go, unfortunately for you that never happened it all ways started at a distance, the English were expected to land an arrow within a group of calvery, medevil archers were professional and much better than we can hope to be, to them 220 Yds would be like 30 is to us,

You must have seen the video of Simon hitting a road sign at 200yds go to him and say it was a fluke,
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 05:14:21 pm »
 The Butts in the illustration look more like bales of hay .....

are the medieval butts to be shot at on the 10th  bales of hay or earth mound butts?

Offline outcaste

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 05:17:06 pm »
The Butts in the illustration look more like bales of hay .....

are the medieval butts to be shot at on the 10th  bales of hay or earth mound butts?

Bales of hay wrapped in hessian, though in the future they may be of earth construction.

Alistair

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 05:23:23 pm »
.... then they're not butts .... just bales of hay wraped in hessian

Offline Ian.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 07:55:50 pm »

Cant really respect the opinion of someone who has the screen name 'Horace Ford' in a Warbow section.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/