Author Topic: Hackberry project - questions.  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Parnell

Hackberry project - questions.
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »
Hi fellas,

I've got a hackberry stave that I've reduced down.  I've got it now laid out 67" as a flatbow and a pyramid limb from 1 7/8 down to 1/2 at tips.  I've got the fades at a full 3 inches.  I could shorten them - better to?  Also, with a pyramid layout - is recurving the last six inches a good or bad idea?  I'm going to post some pictures after work of what I've got.  I'm aiming for a little liter than where I usually go, I'd like 55-57 lbs.   I can't believe how easy the wood is to work - really a pleasure, very lite in the hand, even at this point.

I've read what I can find - but wood appreciate any experienced advice.

Thanks,

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline sulphur

Re: Hackberry project - questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:19:44 pm »
the dimensionve laid out should work great.  i usually make mine 2"  but thats a little overbuilt.  As far as recurving the tips, i have made 3 hackberry recurves that were 64" ntn with the last 6" recurved about 45 degrees.  all were awesome shooters.  I would suggest with your length to slight recurve the last 10" into a r/d profile.  keep them working and i bet you'll have a smokin fast bow.  Hackberry bends super easily with just a little steam.  look forward to seeing you pics!  here's a pic of mine

Offline dismount

Re: Hackberry project - questions.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 01:17:00 am »
Parnell, I agree with Sulfur, I use dry heat with Olive oil if the stave is dry, and the wood bends nice, Hack is a great bow wood, and it is becoming more recognised. Dismount