Author Topic: Laburnum take down  (Read 17785 times)

Offline nathan elliot

Laburnum take down
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:01:30 pm »
This is my latest bow, Its a laburnum takedown. 66" knock to knock. Pulling 47# @28".  Laburnum is an amazing wood, a little tricky to season as the sapwood really wants to check. I have tried lots of different methods of drying and found it best to leave the bark on if you can. If you take the bark off you really have to wrap it in cling film. Once the log is split it also pays to take off the wood near the pith, as this is also an area under a lot of tension and wants to check. Like Yew this wood is strong in compresion, so I chose a crowned belly elb style bow. I had heard that the sapwood is weak in tension, I don't think this is true so if you do manage to get hold of some laburnum try and leave the sapwood on as it makes for a great looking bow. Also like Osage the wood darkens with age, all in all this has to be my favorite bow wood.

This bow came in a little light, I was aiming for 55#, but as I made this bow to take with me on long canoe trips, I figure I will appreciate it being a little on the light side after a hard days paddling.

[im[/img]

Hope you like it.

Nat

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: Laburnum take down
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:05:16 pm »
wow is that ever nice!!!!!!!!Full draw is spectacular!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:22:13 pm »
 :o  Beautiful take-down!!!  that tiller is amazing!  what a wonderful bow and there is plenty of bow in a 45 pounder.  Good job!   -josh

EDIT:  and I love the way you stage your photographs.... they seem to enhance your already beautiful bow.  Great photography work, too. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hoot

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:25:21 pm »
WOW...fantastic work.  You did a great job, and being a take-down makes it perfect for your canoe adventures.

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:26:02 pm »
Great looking bow. How long does it take to cure it out wrapped as you described?
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Kirkll

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:30:14 pm »
great looking bow there. :) i'm curious how you made the sleeve in the take down section.  i can see that as a great canoe bow. have you practiced actually shooting out of a canoe? that is one i haven't played with yet, but have entertained the idea.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:37:26 pm »
Beautiful bow,very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 01:06:23 pm »
Very good bow.  Awesome to see a different bow wood.  Really nice with the sapwood and the color is beautiful.
1’—>1’

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 01:12:59 pm »
Wow! Great tiller bud!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:34:37 pm »
Nat, where do you get all that laburnum??
Really nice bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline acker

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:35:51 pm »
fantastic looking bow you have made .
Tiller is spot on!
acker

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 01:39:48 pm »
Very  nice  work, is  this  your  first take-down? How  much  more  work  did  you  feel  you  had  to  put  into this  project,  being  a  take-down?
Thanx
zeNBowyer:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 01:59:05 pm »
That's one sweet bow. I love the look of any wood with the different color sapwood and heart wood in a bow. I'd like to know more about that wood. Looks awesome. Great job.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 02:26:42 pm »
I love the look of that bow. I have to make me a take down bow.....
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 02:28:01 pm »
 Nathan, That is a very sweet bow. The tiller is spot on perfect and very gracefull full draw. How about some close up shots of the tips.
 Laburnum is an excellent bow wood and surprisingly strong. The dark chocolate rings mixed with the gold sheen effect in the sunlight make it one of the most beautiful woods there is.  I would have to say it's my favorite other then yew wood.  Just extremely hard to find here in the US and even harder to find straight enough pieces. I traded Alberto some more yew billets for a couple more Laburnum billets and have been itching to make another Laburnum bow. The billets that I have are full of character and will be a definite challenge but your bow is inspiring me ;)

PS. For any that are able to get some Laburnum, be carefull with the dust, it can make you real sick!