Author Topic: new guy introduction  (Read 18056 times)

half-eye

Re: new guy introduction
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 03:06:32 pm »
folks,
      Let me try the photo thing again see if these show up larger, if not I'll take some other photos. If anyone getts ahold of dana please advise that the only reason I'm under da bridge is cause my swampers had old duct-tape on the soles,eh! and by the time that norwester was done I was clear off ta wilderness reef eh! But I do have a troll entry card that was vouched for by Bob Powell up in Newberry, eh!

Hope these pic's are better.
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 03:16:30 pm »
wow, love those bows, especially that holmegaard! You should fit right in with these guys!!!!     :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »
Awesome pictures - that Ottowa bow looks interesting, do you have any more pictures of that one to get a good look, dimensions?  Thanks for sharing.
1’—>1’

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 03:59:32 pm »
AAAH, much better!
(not only) the Ottawa bow looks great!
Frank from Germany...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 04:00:10 pm »
Well those even look better than they did. I'm not sure I understood is that the way they talk in MI? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

half-eye

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 04:11:16 pm »
Thank you for the questions. Parnell, I dont have any more photo's of Jay Sam's (Little River Band of Odawa) bow but will be happy to give you all the particulars on it, including the "why" it's shaped like it is. Those are not scallops per-sey, the bow is carved to represent the backbone of an animal. Canoe, yes I'm sure about the Black Ash, both for bows and arrow shafts. I'm including a photo of three mollegabets and a native bow, the bows are made of Elm, Black Ash (half grip), black Walnut and the unfinished bow is White Ash. The W. Ash bow is fully tillered and shot in...just need to slap some finish on it. There are also 2 photos of arrows. One shows how many types I make (everyone has their own likes) and the other shows some Black Ash hunting arrows I made for a friend.

The native bow draws 46@28, the Black Ash draws 46@28, the Walnut draws 51@28 and the White Ash draws 61@28 FYI
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TBod

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 04:19:18 pm »
Very nice bows!

Are all from boards?

half-eye

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 04:36:23 pm »
TBOD,
      I make my bow staves by splitting out a piece thats like the Vikings did to make ship hull planks. It's like a horitzontal grain stave except I make the bow with verticle grain to the back and belly. If that's what you mean by a board bow then you would be correct. Since the right hand is now all screws and plates, a friend fully quarter-saws my sticks for me. Hope that answers your question. Oh, I use the same wood for my arrow shafts because the grain runs exactly true to the shaft and makes carving them out easier for me.
half eye

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 04:56:28 pm »
The fourth bow is interesting.  Please share more about that one.  Any closeups?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

half-eye

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 05:08:46 pm »
Jeff, If you are talking about the four bows in the single photo, the one at the bottom is the Viking bow (Mollegabet pattern) done in White Ash. It is a bow but I have not put any finish on it as yet. If that is the bow I would be happy to shoot some detailed photo's of it. I can also post a drawing (pattern) with dimensions if that would help you.
half eye

Offline TBod

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 06:26:13 pm »
Interesting, you prefer vertical instead of horizontal. Horizontal (plain sawn) is the same you get when you use the bark side as back, right?
Any reason for that? Some prefer the horizontal I have learned.

I saw a program of Vikingships yesterday, cool stuff.

Offline HoBow

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »
I apologize for the confusion.  I was referencing the Jay Sam Ottawa bow.  Good work on all of them !
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

half-eye

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 07:17:56 pm »
TBod and Jeff,
      I prefer the verticle grain for two reasons, 1] I can lay out the bow with the grain running dead-straight down the length of the bow and 2] ever try bending an I-beam, the verticle grain does not need any help to be tough. I think that a pretty piece of grained wood is as "pretty" as I need to get, but you can still back it if you want....it will just get tougher. The last thing to consider is their (viking) longboats...thin planked, hull-first, and absolutely blue water worthy (as much or more abuse as a bow?)
      Jeff, I don't have Jay Sam's bow (it was gifted to him) but I can draw you plans and dimensions etc if that would help?
half eye

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 07:35:27 pm »
Welcome Half Eye. I thought you were going to say your name was "Lucky".  ;D
  You will fit right in even if you do live near them Yoopers.  ;) Looking forward to sharing info with you.
  Very nice bows and arrows!!!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 07:43:00 pm »
TBod and Jeff,
      I prefer the verticle grain for two reasons, 1] I can lay out the bow with the grain running dead-straight down the length of the bow and 2] ever try bending an I-beam, the verticle grain does not need any help to be tough. I think that a pretty piece of grained wood is as "pretty" as I need to get, but you can still back it if you want....it will just get tougher. The last thing to consider is their (viking) longboats...thin planked, hull-first, and absolutely blue water worthy (as much or more abuse as a bow?)
      Jeff, I don't have Jay Sam's bow (it was gifted to him) but I can draw you plans and dimensions etc if that would help?
half eye

Yes, I'd be very interested.  Thank you!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA