Author Topic: chaga fungus (with photo)  (Read 19811 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: chaga fungus (with photo)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 06:34:06 am »
i added a pic on the first post
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 11:47:24 pm »

Jamie, thanks.  I googled it the other night, and went to the wikipedia site, and then down to the research site.  Amazing stuff.   I thought that Tea Tree Oil was amazing, but wow, I will have to try to get some of this stuff.  I hope it grows in Montana.  I am pretty close to the Canadian boarder, about two and a half, to three hours away.  I will definitely be on the lookout for it, when I am in the woods !  Wish I had some of it earlier, maybe I wouldn't have had to have an inch and a half of my right ear sliced, for skin cancer.  Squamis cells.  Nasty stuff.  Tends to travel.  Well I will see if any of the health food stores here have it.  Thanks for showing it. ;)

Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 09:19:00 am »
jamie how do you prepare the tea and what strength ???  I have one good sized chunk laying around, know where more is but its a 2 or 3 mile trip in on snowshoes :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 01:47:11 pm »

Well ya know Dana, ya could send da wife fer it...... ::)  Ooooh, I forgot she reads this too...... :o  Dana, go to Google, and look it up, and then go to the wikipedia, and go down to research, and it will tell you all about it, and there are also venues on how to prepare it.

Wayne

Offline jamie

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 07:45:39 am »
dry the conk so it doesnt mold up. two ways ive made it. grind it and use twice the amount of cgaga as you would coffee and use the coffee machine. my favorite. one gallon of water boiling throw in a handful or two of chaga chunks and simmer for an hour then turn off and let it sit for a day. dont throw away chunks. you can get 2 or 3 more brews out of em.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 08:39:36 am »
Thanks jamie this stuff is hard as rock on the tree, can't imagine it molding
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 05:19:47 am »
after making tea from it dana i usually throw the chunks back in the dehydrator to dry. one time i didnt by the afternoon the mold spores had already grown. now who knows that mold may be good for ya but i aint gonna be the one to find out right now.

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 11:36:41 am »
Ya big wussy ;) :D

Manistique, MI

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 11:27:22 am »
chaga is awesome, I have a few pounds of it, I too make tea from it, nice earthy stuff. Let it dry out and can use it in your fire piston or as insence. It does vary as too hardness, I like the softer pieces for the piston.

Offline jamie

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 11:38:36 am »
jc my kids and friends call it "dirt tea".  ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 11:47:08 am »
you aint kidding, They tried it but used alot of honey and mint or lemon. I like it. I wouldnt be suprised it does have an effect on tumor growth and cancers , yet we will never hear of it because that means the gov`t cant make money off of it.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 12:46:54 pm »
I haven't found any here in a long time. It grows at high elevations here on yellow birch, but it's rare. I've tried using it for tinder, but never medicinally. I'll have to keep an eye out for some more.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 08:23:07 am »
Huh, you learn something new every day.  I've seen it plenty in Vermont and New York, and in Alaska as well, so I assume it probably grows anywhere in between you find birches.  As far as I know, no fungus that grows off the side of a tree is poisonous.  Now the ones growing on the ground are another story, got sick as a dog once from something I thought was a puffball, before I learned that puffballs should always be white in the center.  They were tasty though.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline jamie

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 10:09:17 am »
ground ones i stay away from , too many uh-ohs can happen with em.

waterbury, ct

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »
Jude, there are definitely several fungi that grow on trees that are poisonous, including at least one deadly one. Even some edible ones can be toxic if they're growing on the wrong kind of tree.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.