Author Topic: Looking for donations-For: "Arrows of light"  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Looking for donations-For: "Arrows of light"
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 11:49:00 pm »
Justin,  the points I have would work ok for arrows of light, but I wouldn't say they were good hunting points. Most are small bird points and the like. Anything larger than a small bird point is kinda fat. I have a picture at work that I will post tomorrow and you can take a look.
I'm not after hunting points, just some for arrow of light arrows. I used to only use points that I had broken the tips or ears off then fixed. I was also only doing it for the cubs in our pack when I was Cubmaster. It seems that when word gets out that you are doing this kind of arrows, and free beside. There isn't a shortage of requests from other packs.  I just haven't been doing enough knapping and had to start using my hunting points to keep up with demand.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline StevenT

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 11:03:35 am »
I thought you were wanting some to hunt with. If that is what you are using them for, send me your address and I will see what I can put together.  Like I said, I am just getting going with flint, so they aren't great stuff. I have some flakes that I can knock out a couple points you could have in reserve. Won't have long flake runs.... basically what I call Five and Dime points, but they should do for the kids.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 11:08:55 am »
Thanks Steven, the kids really enjoy the points. All they want to know is they are real points. Size, flake length, and shape mean nothing to them.
Send me your address and I will send you some obsidian to repay your kindness.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline StevenT

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 11:23:55 am »
I appreciate it, but truth is switched over to flint because I was somehow getting some of the really small obsididan flakes in the house and after the wife managed to get the third one in her foot, I had to give up glass and obsidian to keep peace in the house. Actually, it hasn't been a bad thing because it forced me to switch to flint. Thanks for the offer, but I don't need anything in return. Just glad to help and the kids smiles will be enough.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
Coming up with stone heads for these arrows is the most difficult part. I know of more than a few lucky kids with some authentic heads and some first class hunting heads. So thanks again to those that participated in the donations.

By the way, the BSA just bought something like 10,000 acres right down the road from me and plan on 100 million dollars in investments so if you don't hear from me again you know I went into hiding ;D! ART

Offline warhawk

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:47 pm »
Archer can i still send you my arroheads or not ? oh i have had to work alot and time is money for wife.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 09:47:07 pm »
I put 9 in the mail to Art Friday.  If Eddie sends him some and he doesn't need any more right away, I'm sure Justin could use a few.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 10:40:23 pm »
 Art, I'm putting 4 in the mail in the morning. I couldn't make it to the Post Office today.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 08:21:33 am »
Warhawk, I sent you, Sawfiler and Eddie a private message right after everbody's offer. Please check your PM. I really appreciate your offer. Looks like I have plenty coming as of now, and as Saw Filer mentioned, Justin may need some more. Thanks-ART

Offline StevenT

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 10:51:18 am »
I have seven ready to send to Justin, working on one more. Hope to get them in the mail tomorrow.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 12:38:44 pm »
Saw Filer, I just picked up those points from the PO that you sent me. I must say, you're a very generous person, thanks! The kids are going to be in awe. Will post a picture of the arrows when I have them ready. ART

Offline StevenT

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 03:41:21 pm »
Justin,
The box is on it's way. Hopefully there will be one or two points you can use to put on the end of a shaft. I also included a few flakes for the kids to beat on if you want. This is the stuff I used to make the points. It's mostly tator chip flakes or flakes with bulbs on one end, but good stuff for banging around on. Enjoy.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 06:49:53 pm »
Thanks Steven.......  I tried teaching a few of the older scouts to knapp last year at scout camp. It was an adventure. One boy actually turned out something that looked like a point.  :o

SW Utah

Offline StevenT

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:07 am »
Your welcome.  I would think that with the scouts all you would have to do is help get them started. You know how kids are. After a bit, they will be coming back showing you how "really" do it.  Iknow I wish I had been introduced to this hobby when I was a few moons younger.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 05:26:46 pm »
Hey Eddie, just got your points in. Great job man!!! You guys really impressed me! Now I better get busy and get 'em made up. Tis the season you know (for "Arrows of Light" that is)! Merry Christmas everyone! ART