Author Topic: Hit one this afternoon...  (Read 5570 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Hit one this afternoon...
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:00:47 pm »
but didn't draw any blood.  after sitting on the stand for 30 min. i saw a doe trotting down the trial, coming straight to me.  she would pass by at about five yards.  i started drawing down on her and whistling at the same time.  when i realized she wasn't going to stop, i guessed the lead and let fly.  just as i released she did a little high step and the arrow passed between her front legs.  as her right leg came down she snapped the arrow in half, a perfect karate chop as you can see.   about three minutes after she passed by, a chocolate lab came running by followed by a very over weight pit bull that was barely making it.  it amazed me when the lab ran by the trail the deer took, and literally slammed on the brakes after about 15 feet.  he did a 180 and ran up the trail the deer took.  he never put his nose to the ground.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Hit one this afternoon...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »
I have had that exact thing happen with the arrow... I would have shot the dogs, in Wyoming if you see dogs chasing deer and don't shoot you can be fined.. good luck on the next one brother... great looking arrow by the way.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:48:32 pm »
 That look's like one of my arrows :o Did you get my bow, too? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:10:05 pm »
hawk, i was seeing red and all but ready to stick me some dog but i recognized these as belonging to the family that let's me hunt their land across the tracks from where i was hunting today.  would hate for one of the dogs to go stumbling into their yard with a cane arrow sticking out of his a$$.  i'm definitely going to let them know i saw them running deer. 

eddie, you can have the arrow back now.  i was definitely not happy to have one of my artb arrows snapped without blood all over the ground a deer flopping around.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »
...but what are friends for!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 05:33:10 am »
Added insult to injury,had the happen before,I shot a small buck like that one time and the broken part of the arrow stuck him up in the brisket,bleed like a stuck hog for about a hundred yards,I thought this will be something ,kill a deer with the broke end of an arrow, :) :)the bleeding stopped
and I am sure not much worse that cutting himself on a bob wire fence. Better luck next time.I try
not shoot at them running,I can't hit them all that well standing still. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:09:51 am »
Chris:  Poop happens!!  To bad you did not have a big old heavy blunt to send a message to that deer chasen dog.  I ran a black bear out of camp one time with blunts!  The first one brought him out of the tree and the second one sent him packing! Are you going to be at this coming year's classic?  Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:23:36 pm »
i did have a rubber blunt and a ace hex head, but i didn't think to grab them.  i was still trying to figure out how the doe broke my arrow.  i'll be at the classic if at all possible.  i just hope the rain doesn't show up!  i'll be bringing my flippers just in case.

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 04:56:50 pm »
Do you have a insert of some type in the business end of that arrow?
If so, and it is not a trade secret ,  :D could you post a few good photos of it?
And may be a few words on how it is made?

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 09:40:01 pm »
ridge, that's a foreshafted cane arrow.  just like the arrows i used in my article in the latest pa mag.

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:16:28 pm »
 David, I have some with glued in foreshafts and removable ones. I'll post you some pictures tomorrow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 01:35:25 am »
                I Cheat....and Drill the Cane out and press in a Carbon Arrow Insert....so I can change Points as easy as Pie!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 02:01:42 am »
                I Cheat....and Drill the Cane out and press in a Carbon Arrow Insert....so I can change Points as easy as Pie!!

El I've thought about doing the "cheating" method, but was afraid I'd get the drill bit in a bind and split the cane.  I assume you use a drill press, do you tape up the cane also before drilling?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 03:08:15 am »
I do use a Press...and a little Electrical Tape also...and Use the lowest pulley setting on My Press....so the Bit is going as slow as possible ...I have only had one split on me while drilling them out.....just make sure that You buy the smallest Inserts you can get
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 11:53:03 am »
wrap the cane with a rubber band.  that will keep it from splitting when you drill.

G. Gordon Liddy