Author Topic: Arrow woods?  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Adirondackman

Arrow woods?
« on: October 01, 2009, 07:48:40 am »
I live in upstate NY. What are some of the woods that I could use to make arrows? When is the best time to harvest them? How long do you dry them.

Offline recurve shooter

Re: Arrow woods?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:51:47 am »
i have no idea what grows there, but:

sourwood
dogwood
privet
river, hill, and other canes or bamboos.

im not an arrowsmith, but these are a few i know of.
lets just shoot it

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »
What grows there, the characteristics of the species and what the weather is like will determine what is suitable for you.  IMO, the best thing to do is go wander arround and look for plants that look like they might make arrows.  Try processing them different ways for best results.  Of the landscaping plants, I'd stay away from olienders cuz of the poison and bird of paradise cuz its too brittle- though I don't know if you grows those out east.  I made a nice arrow of of some weed that I still cannot ID.  None of the other of the same species were suitable or even looked like they might be.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:35:22 pm »
Howdy,

Red Osier Dogwood is common and grows in wetlands throughout the Midwest and Northeastern U.S.  It makes a very good arrow.  You need to collect the second year growth; the branches that have smaller branches growing off of them.

Good Luck,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

half-eye

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 09:36:17 pm »
Adirondackman,
     I make all of my arrow shafts from native Michigan wood. I make them from Maple, Black and White Ash, Walnut, Paper Birch, Red Elm both species of Oak, Poplar and Cedar. For the last several years I prefer the Black Ash. I can't help with using saplings or twigs etc. I cut my rough outs from fully quarter sawed sticks. I cut them into squares 3/8 X 3/8 for example and then carve and sand them to shape. The quarter sawed wood lets me run the grain dead center down the length of the shaft and make for very robust arrows.
      I pick the wood type based on weights (density) of the wood and the purpose I'm going to use it for. The cedar, elm and walnut are the most flexible, and the ash, oak, maple and paper birch are hell for tough. The straight grain in the arrow shafts also makes straightening very easy and dependable.
      I have made up a chart of relative weights by species if that would help you any. Personally I like the hardwood arows for their weight and thoughness (longevity) not mention they are very hard to damage when I decide for no good reason to fling one out through the toolies (scientific term).
half eye

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:31:42 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!