Author Topic: Non-Primitive Bow Materials  (Read 30701 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: Non-Primitive Bow Materials
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2009, 03:01:08 pm »
I wouldn't use a radial.  Bias-ply all the way.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2009, 03:08:27 pm »
Being a moderator is a tough job. Sometimes we have to trust them to do the right thing.  Ole Jawge trusts the Mod Squad and y'all are doing a great job. This is an excellent site.  I like being able to come here and help people build selfbows. It's the way I relax. Thank you for the job you are doing. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2009, 05:01:07 pm »
Being a moderator is a tough job. Sometimes we have to trust them to do the right thing. 

I agree 100% Jawge! I too moderate on another site and it can be a pain in the arrs. The mods here do a great job and I appreciate them letting my bow participate in the BOM fun contest. Even though it doesn't have a chance against all the great bows entered this month. But it's still fun and that's what it's all about!!!
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2009, 06:22:14 pm »
Ah Hillbilly and food here we go! At least with a steel bow you can spear some fine vinison back straps on it and slow roast it over a hard wood fire boy I can smell it now .And not worry about burning your bow up. Anybody have some Kansas city master piece sauce.
                                                                                                                Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2009, 06:34:13 pm »
Being a moderator is a tough job. Sometimes we have to trust them to do the right thing.  Ole Jawge trusts the Mod Squad and y'all are doing a great job. This is an excellent site.  I like being able to come here and help people build selfbows. It's the way I relax. Thank you for the job you are doing. :) Jawge
Thanks George  :'(
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:30 pm »
 Thanks, Jawge.  Jesse, I have that same, Tru-Value bow, but I bought it at the Flea market for $8. I think when I posted asking if anybody had seen one you posted a picture of yours.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2009, 09:44:06 pm »
Justin and Mullet, you are very welcome and thank you! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2009, 11:43:33 pm »
Thanks, Jawge. :) Eddie, a friend of mine used to have an old steel recurve that pulled about 75#, I don't know what brand it was, but he took it to a shoot one time and stuck an aluminum arrow up to the feathers in a 5" diameter hickory tree. It's still there, I guess. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:07 am »
Jesse, you know it will switch to food sooner or later....;D And the reason that we don't have a twenty-page set of itemized rules resembling a tax booklet or summons for a paternity suit (with bullet points, subparagraphs, sheaves of fine print and 8x10 glossy photographs with notations on the backs) is simply that we don't need them-we like simple stuff, that's why we make wooden bows.  Most members don't need that-we are a wooden bow site, and common sense and reading the general flow of things over a period of time should tell anyone who pays attention pretty much what is acceptable and unacceptable. There are only a couple people I've ever seen in all my years here who wanted to constantly argue and nitpick about the details of the rules instead of talk about archery. (not talking about you Okie-you're definitely not one of them.) It's not like we're going to come to your house and shoot you in the kneecaps if you post a bow backed with a strip of Goodyear Wrangler A/T radial, anyway. :D

So much of that is so true. I cannot believe how long those rules are.  :-\

Speaking of Indians.  I'm making mulligatawny soup out of Thanksgiving leftovers ... and a bunny backed mini-naga with a 28" nodeless boo "string" made from an Easter basket.  I hope I can tiller it out and thin up the string.  But, ya know, there is no wood in it.   ;D  That last PA issue with the boo bow is what finally convinced me to string up what was basically scrap and make that string. Not too many pix of that type of nock, but I found a couple on the net here and there for examples.

Steve in LV, NV

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2009, 09:03:55 am »
Jesse, you know it will switch to food sooner or later....;D And the reason that we don't have a twenty-page set of itemized rules resembling a tax booklet or summons for a paternity suit (with bullet points, subparagraphs, sheaves of fine print and 8x10 glossy photographs with notations on the backs) is simply that we don't need them-we like simple stuff, that's why we make wooden bows.  Most members don't need that-we are a wooden bow site, and common sense and reading the general flow of things over a period of time should tell anyone who pays attention pretty much what is acceptable and unacceptable. There are only a couple people I've ever seen in all my years here who wanted to constantly argue and nitpick about the details of the rules instead of talk about archery. (not talking about you Okie-you're definitely not one of them.) It's not like we're going to come to your house and shoot you in the kneecaps if you post a bow backed with a strip of Goodyear Wrangler A/T radial, anyway. :D

Well maybe a bit more than just a couple  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2009, 11:59:58 am »
mulligatawny is one of my favorite soups.
45# at 27"