Author Topic: Boo Backed Bloodwood and IPE  (Read 12916 times)

Offline Gordon

Boo Backed Bloodwood and IPE
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:12:07 pm »
Here are some pictures of a bow that I was originally building for a friend. He wanted something in the 80-90 lbs range at 29”. I had it tillered nicely at 85# when I noticed some stress fractures developing in the handle overlay. Upon examining the problem area I concluded that I had made the throat too narrow and there was nothing I could do to fix it. So I replaced the damaged handle and reduced the weight to what I thought the design could bear. This was my third attempt to make a heavy Boo-backed bow for my friend, but I think I got the bugs worked out now and I’m hopeful that I will find success on my next attempt.

The bow is 68” ntn, weighs in at 62# @ 28” and holds about 1” of reflex. It has a bloodwood core with an IPE belly and is backed with bamboo. I put in an osage power lamination to help stiffen the handle which is made from osage and wenge. The tips are buffalo horn.

I had fretting issues with my two previous BBI attempts so I purchased some new IPE that was specifically made for outdoor decking. After working with the new stuff, it became clear that what I previously thought was IPE was not the same wood. I had no problem with frets with this bow and am impressed with IPE. It is easy to work, super tough, and takes practically no set. Following are some pictures of the bow – I hope you like it.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:22:33 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline NTD

Re: Boo Backed Bloodwood and IPE
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 09:16:34 pm »
what a Gorgeous Bow Gordon!!!  Any chance we could a get a close up of the handle?  Also is it a Reflex and Deflex of did you just reflex the tips?

Outstanding work.

Nate
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:20:12 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »
Sure, here's a closeup of the handle.

It's an r/d design, but I like to concentrate the reflex closer to the tips than the classical design.

Gordon

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »
Thanks for the quick pic Gordon.  Yeah I knew it looked different than most R/D's and I like it.  I'm not sure how the performance differs but I know that I like the profile of that bow!!!  Might have to TRY to copy ya on my next BBI.  Love the handle by the way!! 
Nate Danforth

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 09:33:37 pm »
Nate,

I don't really care for the "straight limbed" look of a classical RD bow at full draw. I find the "flipped tip" style much more visually appealing. As to any performance difference between the two designs I can't say for sure. What I can say is the bows that I have made this way shoot fast enough to suit my needs.
Gordon

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 09:41:30 pm »
I Love it Gordon and I'm sure it's fast.  Looks more straight forward to tiller than the typical R/D's as well.  The usual R/D design intimidates the heck out of me for tillering.  Thanks for the help.  One last question... is that about 10-12" flipped?

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:47:34 pm »
Nice looking bow Gordon. Lots of color in it too.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 10:20:14 pm »
Great bow Gordon!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline sulphur

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 10:50:36 pm »
Gordon, you are a heck of a craftsman.  when i see your stuff i know i got a lot to learn.  i enjoy every minute of it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:59:24 pm »
Knowing what you can do with a stick I'm not surprised what you did with lams.  ;)  I'm with you Gordon, I prefer my reflex at the tips. Today's R/Ds don't look natural to my eye.
Very nice bow!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 11:02:47 pm »
That's a beautiful bow. I hope one day I'll be able to make a laminated bow like that. Great job.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 11:12:29 pm »
That's a nice looking bow Gordon. I prefer reflex through out the limbs right off the deflexed riser with a little flipped up tips personally. It's been my favorite design lately.  What did you mean by "stress factors" ? Was it bending to the side in the handle area? Just curious.  :) Never attempted anything that heavy.  :P
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 01:23:04 am »
wow gordon..that is some great work..i love the handle..your just ranking up there with john... ;D ;D....john

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 03:25:16 am »
Gordon, you really make it hard for me not to be repetitive when commenting your work! - Fantastic!
Well, if the bow is too lightweight for the other guy I can always send you my address...  ;D ;D ;D
Frank from Germany...

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 08:19:17 am »
Top shelf Gordon! ;)