Author Topic: Pictures Raw Material  (Read 10015 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Pictures Raw Material
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 08:00:10 pm »
Texas definetily has some good rock.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 10:03:01 am »
Warhawk, the reason you don't see raw materials pics from me is because there ain't none here. :) I get some quartzite out of the river, but it's pretty much easy to spot amongst the granite and other rock.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 10:24:40 am »
i would be happy to show ya some pics of raw knapping material
only problem is where i live we really dont have much for knappible material
i have looked and never fond anything worth while.
all the rock i get i get from knapp ins,and then it isnt raw its been spalled and heated already
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 01:17:40 pm »
I'm still lookin for a scource.  If I find some I put up a picture for you.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 02:19:16 pm »
Here's some nodules of Sonora flint from west central Kentucky.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 09:00:28 pm »
is that Sonora flint common around your aread? does it have to be heat treated to knapp or can be used raw. What colors does it come in and where did you learn to look for this type of rock. Oh thanks i love seeing so much stone in the back of a turck to include a white tail buck or two.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 09:05:10 pm »
Sonora dose not need any heat, infact it will blowup if you heat it.  Shanon is that a new run you made or old rock?
Mililani Hawaii

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 09:29:38 pm »
No, Warhawk. There is no workable rock near my house.  Sonora comes from a couple hours north of here, but even there it's not plentiful :(
 It's blue rock and needs no heat. I done some research on the web, found the source, and went looking. ;)
 Jesse. that's old stuff.  Most of that is gravel now ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 11:13:37 am »
Warhawk,  I suspect the reason the view count is way over the pictures is that like a lot of folks, I am on PA a lot and follow all the threads I can to learn what I can. But I haven't sent any pics because there just isn't any raw rock in my area. In fact, I just read a report at a museum this weekend that stated there are no natural rocks at all on the Virginia Eastern Shore - which really stinks.  :'(

Looks like Cowboy has it great! I would love to have access to one of those "corn fields" were the guy is growing a great crop of rocks!

Offline warhawk

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 02:35:16 pm »
The idea was not to make people show Pictures unless they had them. the idea was to provide a reference thread to help others in those local areas that have them to be at lease able to see a visual reference picture. the ability of an knapper to look at a stone and see the finished product comes from the love of knapping rock. I buy 99% of my rock from on line. When I'm hunting or hiking i look for knappable material. Ask Nugget about Quartz it is hard to knapp. some of my Artifacts come from white Quartz and i provided a picture which i need to get a better or more detail picture.

In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 02:55:05 pm »
Warhawk, I know what you mean. You want to see something kinda cool. I was at an oyster roast this weekend held at the railroad museum in Cape Charles, VA. They have one small display of Native American tools collected on the Eastern Shore. I snapped a picture of it with my iPhone, so it isn't a great shot. But it has enough detail to get a pretty good look. A lot of the material these points are made from is Quartz. I suspect the material in these stones originated in the Smokey Mountains since there is no natural stone on Eastern Shore. I thought it interesting how much your picture looks like this one and your points look like the real deal.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 05:09:27 pm »
there,s something that makes me want to go hiking is looking for arrowheads. that is a great picture. just so you know i live an hour from Morrow Mountain where the Morrow Mountain arrowhead gets it name from> Nugget say that In NC they used Ryolite and that there were quarries in this area.

Offline shikari

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 07:34:12 pm »
there have been a lot of indian points found in the fields behind and around my house here in ohio and although I have looked and tried to find knappable material,I am having a hard time finding anything but granite here in Ohio.

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 02:30:21 pm »
heres some pics of my coral raw and cooked and how I cook it and what I do with it. I`m not a knapper, I`m a digger/diver. Just havent crossed over like Eddie,lol ;D  My buddy Claude has tried for years to teach me, just not my thing right now sorry if its pic heavy but you asked and heres some pictures

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 02:40:53 pm »
beautiful stuff. Thanks for the pics. I gotta try to get me some of that purdy coral to beat on.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!