Author Topic: More pictures  (Read 5481 times)

Offline Jaro

More pictures
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:11:23 am »
Hello, here is more pictures from our event. Also some of arrowheads in my possesion. The big armourpierces on picture are made by Drak - he is just 17, but already quite capable arrowsmith. The other thing on picture is skythian bronze age arrow release device, found in czech (copy) -its very similar to modern compound release aid.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cornus2/Medlanky2009#5394037002481278562

Go further in galery.

Jaro

Offline Swamp Bow

Re: More pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:41:55 pm »
Jaro:
  Nice, looked like a great shoot to be at.  I have a question about the large swallow tail arrowhead.  I noticed that it had a rivet hole in the ferule, were larger points usually riveted in place?  Please pardon me if this is a basic question, but I'm still new to learning the particulars of archery from this era.

Swamp

ETA good looking future archer there!
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline boo

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:25:32 pm »
Cool, I love that double knife blade point. Is there a demo on making them? Is the feral welded on after ? thanks for sharing.
Boo

Offline heavybow

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 05:16:53 pm »
Very nice pictures Jaro.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 06:04:56 pm »
Love the Blue Jeans arrow bag! At least I think that's what it is. Getting ideas for a denim plains style quiver ::) ;).
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Davepim

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 05:23:31 am »
Jaro:
  Nice, looked like a great shoot to be at.  I have a question about the large swallow tail arrowhead.  I noticed that it had a rivet hole in the ferule, were larger points usually riveted in place?  Please pardon me if this is a basic question, but I'm still new to learning the particulars of archery from this era.

Swamp

ETA good looking future archer there!

Yeah, the big swallowtails were nailed in place to ensure they didn't get lost when getting them out of big dead animals - they were and still are, time-consuming and expensive to make

Dave

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:36:52 am »
Jeeze-what  would  you  shoot  with  that  large  swallow-tail? I  thought  dinosaurs were  extinct:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Davepim

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 07:37:13 am »
Jeeze-what  would  you  shoot  with  that  large  swallow-tail? I  thought  dinosaurs were  extinct:)

I think our ancestors weren't particularly interested in tracking bleeding animals around the woods and these broadheads, with their enormous cutting surfaces, together with the trauma they produced, would ensure a rapid kill. I know that tests done by Mark Stretton on a pig carcass showed that one such broadhead severed the spine of the beast.

Dave

Offline Jaro

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 08:37:49 am »
Hello!
The big swallowtails can be made by welding blades to socket, I recall Gwynne once made one very fine and refined that way. I think since this is predominantly hunting head it can be retrieved and eventually sharpened and thus made with steel blades. Also it has hole for peening it to arrow, so it wont get lost as its by far more epxensive than bodkin. That one is made after one originall I won altough the blacksmith was carried away a little :D It would make palm sized hole. This one is one piece, not welded.
There are also armoupiercing prototype made by me on that picture and 6 armoupierces by drak, those are made after a original point which Alan Edwards from Towton lads has in his possesion. Also in midst of first picture there is tudor bodkin by Mark Stretton.
Otherwise, there is not much shooting in this galery, but there is in the other.

Enjoy

Jaro

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:15:53 am »
Obviously it worked for them, or they would have not done it.  I've tried to stop buying shovels and other handled tools that are pined because the wood almost always fails at the pin.  I can't see any other reason for that hole though, and I think it's human nature to not want to the same job twice (rehaft in this case).  Thanks. 

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.