Author Topic: Increasing dry-fire speed?  (Read 11002 times)

Offline Kegan

Increasing dry-fire speed?
« on: November 14, 2009, 01:01:27 pm »
Besides stiff and light tips, what are some other factors for increasing dry fire speed?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Increasing dry-fire speed?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 01:47:42 pm »
Dang Kegan, I'm not even going to say those words together. _____  _____ speed...........  ;) The less mass you have the better so shorter lengths make a difference.
I rarely dry fire at a target or deer so I guess I don't really worry about it.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:52:49 pm »
I meant more along the lines of dry-fire for flight shooting. I don't think my bows would forgive me if i tried to actually dry fire them :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 02:58:39 pm »
String weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 03:08:06 pm »
What do you mean by "dry-fire"????  because I think of a dry fire as shooting the bow with no arrow....and I know Ive always been told that that is horrible on a bow

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 03:15:18 pm »
Pat- I'm making my FF string even smaller lately too ;D.

Ky- basically, but still with a light arrow in this case. When shooting lighter arrows, like for flight shooting (or in my case, just lighter than 8-10 gpp), the bow itself can't get in the way of the recorvery, so the lighter arrows can actually move faster. I'm slowly becoming a speed freak, and the easiest way to get speed is light arrows. Now to design some bows that shoot light arrows properly :)

I've made bows that didn't shoot light arrows any faster than heavy arrows. So I'm looking for design characteristics to include/exclude.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 03:56:01 pm »
Kegan, you might contact Steve Gardner. He wrote the article in TBBIV about his mass theory plus, Steve is a flight shooter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:04:15 pm »
I'm not sure of the relevance of this dryfire concept, if you  should never  dryfire a bow????
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 04:12:29 pm »
I'm not sure of the relevance of this dryfire concept, if you  should never  dryfire a bow????
Whomever said you should never dryfire a bow is talking about hunting bows. These are flight bows and it is entirely different. They might shoot a 75 grain 20" arrow, which is the same as shooting no arrow. The difference is that the bow was made for shooting a couple of arrows a long way. If it beats the world record it did its job so the damage done while shooting is of little concern.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 05:47:20 pm »
Whomever said you should never dryfire a bow is talking about hunting bows. These are flight bows and it is entirely different. They might shoot a 75 grain 20" arrow, which is the same as shooting no arrow. The difference is that the bow was made for shooting a couple of arrows a long way. If it beats the world record it did its job so the damage done while shooting is of little concern.
It is NOT the same as shooting no arrow, there is inertia, I can't be bothered to work out the physics.
The arrow may 'weigh' 75 grains, eg mass x gravitational acceleration, but the bow is accelerating it at more than 1g so it's effective 'weight' is much greater (It's mass of course remains the same)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 07:05:47 pm »
Has anyone ever tried to dry-fire a bow to see what happens??? I've heard the bow will be damaged , but I dont know of anyone , or even heard of anyone who tried it!! perhaps a bow can take it? maybe it's a myth-call the myth busters, I'm too attatched to my bows to try
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 10:40:06 pm »
It is NOT the same as shooting no arrow, there is inertia, I can't be bothered to work out the physics.
The arrow may 'weigh' 75 grains, eg mass x gravitational acceleration, but the bow is accelerating it at more than 1g so it's effective 'weight' is much greater (It's mass of course remains the same)
Del
Now your just getting petty.  ::) A heavy string  or double serving would make that difference.
When a bow is considered dry fired at as low as 7 grains per pound and at risk of breakage, and you are shooting 1 grain per pound, for the bows sake, you might as well shoot no arrow. If I stuck a 1 grain BB on it would have mass and not be dry fired by your definition, but it would not help the bow.

Dragonman, yes I have seen several bows dry fired. Some have broken, but most have not.  I have seen the string pop off a couple that were dry fired and split the tips out.

SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:24 pm »
I'm willing to bet most selfbows wouldn't have much trouble from a dry fire but maybe some laminated ones might come apart. Not sure. I have an older 60# boo ipe I could try it on for fun :) On video of course ;D Anyone dare me ;D Thinking it might be fun. Maybe dangerous though?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline MaceG

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 12:09:48 am »
I'm with Del the cat. His meow makes sense to me.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 05:16:38 am »
Del
Now your just getting petty.  ::) A heavy string  or double serving would make that difference.
When a bow is considered dry fired at as low as 7 grains per pound and at risk of breakage, and you are shooting 1 grain per pound, for the bows sake, you might as well shoot no arrow. If I stuck a 1 grain BB on it would have mass and not be dry fired by your definition, but it would not help the bow.

Dragonman, yes I have seen several bows dry fired. Some have broken, but most have not.  I have seen the string pop off a couple that were dry fired and split the tips out.
Sorry, I just don't understand the accusation of pettiness. As Scotty would say 'Ya cannae change the laws of physics'. You can push a small car or a motorbike by leaning on it, just try accelerating fast by giving it a sharp shove.
Come to think of it...don't bother, just believe what you like. >:(
Del
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:33:58 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.