Author Topic: Zero string follow secrets?  (Read 48904 times)

Offline Barrage

Re: Zero string follow secrets?
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2009, 11:00:22 am »
Since we are talking about "temporary deformation" again, what are peoples thoughts on how that affects performance?  Does it rob cast/draw weight as compared to a bow that does not have said condition, assuming that both bows are "equal" in every other way?  I don't have enough experience to say, but my instinct says it should affect performance even if it is neglegible.  Del mentioned that some woods are more prone to this (Del please correct me if I misunderstood that), has this been the experience of others?  If it has, which woods are more prone?  Thanks.

Swamp

Temporary deformation will affect performance exactly the same as permanent set.  ei 2" permanent set plus 2" temporary set will be equivalent to a 4" permanent set bow...
Travis

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »
No Radius, thank you very much.  Just because you aren't interested, doesn't mean I'm not.  If you don't want to know an answer to a legitimate question don't read it.

Regards,

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

radius

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2009, 12:58:15 pm »
No Radius, thank you very much.  Just because you aren't interested, doesn't mean I'm not.  If you don't want to know an answer to a legitimate question don't read it.

Regards,

Swamp

i believe you may have missed my meaning

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2009, 01:04:20 pm »
I hope so, would you care to explain?

Swamp

Offline Keenan

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2009, 03:08:51 pm »
 Swamp here is what I wrote in my earlier post about the "temporary deformation" I think it may help you answere that question.

"If we are looking into the effect of momentary displacement of the original limb position after unstringing the bow. Here are some thoughts.  We rarely see much dramatic change of limb position after unbracing a bow.  Average would probably fall in the one inch range if measured right after unbraced and then two hours later. Now considering that the average bow gains 3-4 lbs per inch of draw when strung, and even less from resting position to 1" off resting profile. Then the overall effect is probably very minimal. This can sometimes be a greater amount of change when sinew is involved.
  Now with these things in mind, one thing that I think the situation may indicate is, that if the amount of delayed return is greater then an inch, it could be an indication that the wood is very close to permenate damage to the cells. And this could become permanent "set" or fatigue of the tension wood. The factor becomes bigger when a bow is braced all day and shows a measureable amount of draw weight loss from when it was first strung."

Also considering that poundage is only one of several multipiers for cast and arrow speed, and the poundage of that first inch or two is generally fairly low it is probably fairly minimal as a factor at best.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2009, 04:12:08 pm »
Thanks Keenan,  must have missed this on the first read through.  Kinda what I figured.

Swamp

Offline gmc

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2009, 08:45:38 pm »
As a beginner, I've read more than one term to descibe this temporary condition referred to now as the infamous temporary deformation of the limb, however significant or relavanet. But I do tend to see it posted from time to time as a measure of how well the bow limb holds its shape after use.

There was some discussion over giving it a new term or downright admitting a term was never developed. Here's my inexperienced opition until somebody changes it: It takes on the shape of the unstrung bow, (if it takes a shape, what other shape could it take, right?) and it's not permanent.

As for me, I will call it "string follow". Yes, I said it, "string follow" and I will say it again, "string follow". And I said that without any guilt or reservation. Pat's right, mission impossible. Case closed.

Next topic.  ;D

Central Kentucky

radius

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2009, 08:50:57 pm »
string follow is often regarded as a bowmaker's bane, as well.  But i dunno.  I've got a little yew 52#'er which follows the string horribly far but still shoots arrows very fast.

Offline PatM

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2009, 10:45:44 pm »
When you see guys like John Schulz and his sons and David Miller's deliberate string follow bows it hardly seems worth fretting over. Or am I going to be told it's not worth chrysalling over?

radius

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2009, 10:53:24 pm »
deliberate string follow????

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2009, 12:16:23 am »
Set and string follow rob cast. That's no great secret. As selfwood bowyers we come to accept the inevitability of set and string follow. We deal with it and try to minimize it. But sometimes we pretend it is not there. I have string follow bows too but they're not deliberate. LOL. I don't get it, frankly. May be it's my science background but I prefer to be precise in describing what is happening to the wood when I make a bow. You can draw the covers over your heads as much as you want. The fact is- when you begin with  2 in of reflex in a stave and achieve no string follow you still have 2 inches of set. If you don't believe me ask the belly wood fibers on your bow if they are crushed or not. If you are able to begin with a straight stave, make your bow and it still is absolutely straight and not overbuilt  I tip my hat to you.......speaking of covers, my friends...goodnight and Happy Thanksgiving. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2009, 12:16:42 am »
Yeah there is a glass bowyer in MI I forget his name but he builds one model with string follow just because it makes a sweet shooting bow.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2009, 12:22:51 am »
I remember the name now. Its northern mist longbows. Steve turray is the bowyer. They offer r/d and also string follow bows on their website and from talking to him a few years ago the string follow bows dont give up much at all in speed but are really nice to shoot
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Traxx

« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2009, 03:15:10 am »
Nate Steen,of Sunset Hill bows offers a string follow FG bow as does Howard Hill bows.Apparently Nate,Prefers this style bow for his own use,when he can build any style he wants,so that says something.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2009, 12:05:38 pm »
5" of string follow is only efficient and desirable if the bow is soaked in saltwater first... >:D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.