Author Topic: Stringnoice?  (Read 3611 times)

Offline TBod

Stringnoice?
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:05:04 am »
How do I avoid the string hitting my wrist in the best way when shooting?

Offline Cromm

Re: Stringnoice?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:44:19 am »
Move your arm out of the way by bending your elbow. Maybe the string is to low on your bow?? What kind of bow are you shooting???
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:00:25 am »
What is the Brace Height of the Bow? If it is under say 5 1/2"....it's going to slap the Crap out of you!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TBod

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:42:32 am »
I use about 5 1/2 brace height, to low then.

I try to bend my arm to but don't like that, feel more stable if it's straight.

Some of my bows are more centershoot than others, thats got something to do with slapping the wrist?

Thanks!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:48:41 am »
If the string is closer to the arrow-pass, then it is also closer to your wrist!  So unless we are talkin character bow with the handle canted, the string is actually closer to your wrist with a more center-shot bow.  But yeah, I would play around with brace height and see if that doesn't also help.  Maybe just 1/2 an inch will do the trick.  Good luck!  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 09:29:47 pm »
Tbod,I try to hold my bow arm where the back of my hand is in line with the back of my forearm,(rather than bending the wrist back where the thumb is in line with the underside of your arm).When holding the bow in this way,even with a low brace height,I never hit my arm or wrist,and don't have to bend my elbow either. The folks I've taught to hold a bow in this way don't hit their arms either.I hope this makes sense. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline TBod

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:45 am »
Pete. It makes sense! I just have to get stronger in that particular wrist muscle.
Josh. It makes sense to!

Thanks!

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 02:14:01 am »
It  would  be  useful  if  you  can  post  some  pics  or  better yet  a  video  to  see  your  form:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 03:41:22 pm »
 Increase the brace height and use Fast Flite string.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 08:57:31 pm »
i brace my bows ay 6 1/2 inches and use a loose elbow. and use a armgaurd.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:14:43 pm »
You are getting some good Sound Advise here....Fastflight String lessens the Stretch of the String at Release....hence relieving some of the Chances for Contact...and the Higher Brace Height will also keep the String further from Your Forearm...but I would still reccommend a slight bend in the Elbow ....leaning slightly forward...to take a more Natural Stance....I was programmed into taking the Stick up the Arse Sideways Stance that everyone that Shoots a Compound Bow used...this just doesn't work with a Flatbow/Selfbow....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TBod

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 04:12:18 am »
I'm doing progress with all of your advices. 6" brace makes a big difference, straight wrist like Pete says also makes a big diff and bending the arm likewise. I'm just testing it out and see what I like best.

Stringstretch.. I mostly do endless string so far, it ought to be less stretch in the flemish cause all the internal friction of the twisted strands.

Thanks everyone!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 06:32:42 am »
TBod...what are you making your endless Loop Strings out of? If it's Fastflite...you are probably getting a lot less stretch out of them than a comparative Flemish Twist String made from B 50 would ...My Flemish Strings will stretch about 4-5 inches once I hang a weight to them to prestretch them...thats why most of the Time I make them with one Flemish Eye...and a rattail on the other end to take the remainder of the Stretch out....plus than I can change my Brace Height better....with the same string
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TBod

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 10:20:18 am »
I use B500 from BCY. In the future I wanna make my one from scratch from Linen or something. Fast flite is to "good" for me. B500 is the about the same stretch as really good Linen string, I figured if I got use to FF I won't appreciate anything else..

I'm gonna do more of flemish and less of endless. The serving on a endless is so freakishly boring also.