Author Topic: Splitting a yew log with pictures.  (Read 8728 times)

radius

Re: Splitting a yew log with pictures.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 03:14:21 am »
Wasfraidyou'd say that. You goy time to come over and show me something?

dude, i went to vancouver today, and on the weekend i'm heading up to williams lake...not sure when i'll be back in victoria, but probably next weekend at the latest.

i suppose i could even loan you a few things, along with my tiller tree...pulley squeaks...

you've got that bandsaw.  use a sharpie to draw the shape:  9/8 wide for the center three feet, then narrow to 1/2" tips.  except the handle section, mark 5/8 thickness the whole way down.  the middle, say, 12", leave thicker, maybe up to 9/8" again.  THEN  kill it with the bandsaw.  Cut all the extra away real fast, don't look back.  Cut right through any knots, big or small...just slow down a little bit there.

Use the #50 with lots of energy to make everything taper as smoothly as it can, in thickness and in width.  also use a 4-way rasp to help you get up into the humps where the back rises up. 

Looks to me like you have some choice staves there, Mario, awesome stuff.  I made great bows this year out of wood which was waaaaaay knottier than that!  You're gonna get offers from guys like Parnell, ADB, and BCBull asking for your yew.   Probly got some 90#'ers in there.  You can make a 72" bow a 90# pull at 30" no freaking problem.  Guys wanna do that. 

If you have a stave that is 3" across the back and 2" thick, split it.  Make two longbows. 

I posted a # of yew bows with "bad" knots so you can see what you can work with and still get a 50# bow that loves ya!  Lots of osage guys and laminate guys on this site, not as much yew, but it has been coming up lately.  Pat B made a great yew bow you can find if you search.  And don't forget "Gordon's Hazelnut Buildalong" in the archives.

Have fun!

Have fun!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 09:51:16 am »
hey mar,that is great on the yew logs..i hope you get some good shooter...i do have one question...where the logs on the ground before you got to them...thanks john

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 10:02:29 am »
Cool Mar! Lot's of good looking staves there. Thanks for showing - I love the raw material pictures..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.