Author Topic: More bamboo questions.  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Barrage

More bamboo questions.
« on: May 03, 2010, 05:41:17 pm »
1)  What diameter of bamboo (assuming a full diameter piece) can be used; and how wide of a bow does that assume?

2)  Also, how serious are all the nicks and scratches on bamboo - will it blow?  I've seen bamboo where the rind is all scratched and was wondering if it matters or not to the integrity of the bow / bamboo backing.

Thanks
Travis

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: More bamboo questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:36:33 pm »
I like 4" and larger diameter bamboo. With 4", a  1 1/4"- 11/2" wide bow is possible.

If the scratches are just in the rind they will be no problem.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 07:02:21 pm »
I don't worry too much about scratches and nicks...when you see a gouge that's big enough to matter, you won't have to ask.  You'll know.

Diameter depends.  I've backed a couple of bows using the 1"~1.5" decorative bamboo you can find at Michaels/Hobby Lobby.  You just have to use several strips.  I'm also done a bow by splitting a small shoot into 1/16" fibers and laid them similar to sinew.

Bamboo is great to experiment with.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:12:42 pm »
I use bamboo that is around 5" dia. I would think4" would be ok. . but it will have a higher crown and be slightly less efficient with all but the heavier woods. If you carefully check the nicks dont go deeper than the rind they dont usually cause problems
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Barrage

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:47:39 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.

Makenzie, I've been thinking of trying the multiple strip thing with the smaller dia bamboo.  How'd that work out for you?  Made any shooters?
Travis

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:56:10 pm »
It made nothing special...I make a lot of little dinky 25~35lb bows for kicks...mostly out of scraps, pallet wood, and leftover chunks of fiberglass....and so on.

I think if you're looking to make a shooter then your best bet, hands down, is to send knightd a PM.  I will undoubtedly secure the bamboo for the bows I sell from him from now on.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry