Author Topic: Hickory Yumi and some pics of my next project...  (Read 6923 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Hickory Yumi and some pics of my next project...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 10:42:17 pm »
Very cool looking bow (kinda weird) in design. I've always wondered about those - sure I'll try it sometime :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Timmah

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 03:56:38 am »
Absolutely fantastic!

This is exactly the sort of thing that I want to try. Any info on how you tillered that beauty? I cant get my head around it. Is the bottom limb stiffer or does the different string angle/leverage from the asymmetry mean that they are the same weight??

Again that is fabulous!!

Cheers,
Tim

jcougar

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 10:48:45 am »
I haven't shot it for distance yet.  As far as tillering, the upper limb takes most of the bend, with the bottom doing very little.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 11:04:39 am »
thats great.  I made one, boo backed BL for my son a couple years ago to use with 35" arrows.  Has sort of a floppy feet when shooting but reall sends an arrow.  Neat to see one done as a self bow.   

Dave

Far East Archer

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 02:06:03 pm »
Great bow mate! Tiller and braced shape seems to be right with the originals.
The reason for this design is because at first the Japanese tried to use horn bows from Korea or China but when they brought them back they said the bows became rubbery because of the humid conditions. The samurai were horseman and so they now needed a new design since the horn bows didn't work. They got what materials they had plenty of and designed a bow after many attempts that could be shot off a horse or kneeling positions and still have the long draw. Since they weren't using horn/sinew they soon learned that in order for this design to work and not break they had to make it long, and to shoot off horse they made it asymmetrical. Thats all I know about the design.

-Alex

Offline bhenders

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 10:04:22 pm »
Nice pics of full draw.  Have you tried shooting it with the japanese draw?  Thumb draw with the arrow on the 'outside' of the bow. 

Offline vhatp

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 11:34:21 am »
Nice job, my piece of fresh preshaped (reflexed) ash is waiting for something similar.
You mention that it shoots better with the arrow nocked perpendiculary to the handle. That perhaps indicates that the lower limb is bending too much. This way of nocking is definitely not the correct way (Im being taught Kyudo).
I understand that you were curious about the design while sticking to your usual way of shooting, but I suggest you consider the japanese style while shooting a Yumi. Besides the not-crucially-important principles, there is actually one more reason for incorporating such an asymetrical bow design and thus, the angle of the wrist, being tilted cca 65 degs, as if punching the fist. The Yumi is pressed just in between the thumb and forefinger, not the bottom of the palm as you appear to do it.
Then, of course, much longer draw is used (arrow length measured from Adams apple to the fingertips plus 5cm), resting from the right side of the grip while drawing the string with thumb (in a glove) pressed against the middle finger and forefinger pressing the arrow in a rotative manner... but thats kind of ridiculous to explain, since its a manner of years to acquire the correct technique.
Good luck with further jobs!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 12:16:53 pm »
That's awesome. Great job.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 08:59:12 pm »
Which is the full draw from Photobucket? I don't have time to look at al lthese threads............ >:D
When you're retired, every day is Saturday