Author Topic: Pseudosasa Japonica and Arrowweed  (Read 5673 times)

Offline NTD

Pseudosasa Japonica and Arrowweed
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:12:25 pm »
I'd like to start growing some arrowweed and some japonica.  Would it be worth growing these if I may not be on the property in 2 years?  How soon after planting will I be able to harvest useable shafts?  I've also thought of planting them in a container.  Does anyone know how well these two plants will do in a container?
Thanks for any help.

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Pseudosasa Japonica and Arrowweed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:47:57 pm »
Nate....I don't know about where you live ....but My Arrow Boo here in the Texas Panhandle that I got from Mullet in Florida...is still next to nothing after two full years....still have not harvested a piece of Boo....so if I were you....and not going to be there for that long....make a Planter for it....and take it with you....JMO
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:06:07 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 09:55:04 pm »
Nate....I don't know about where you live in Texas....but My Arrow Boo here in the Texas Panhandle that I got from Mullet in Florida...is still next to nothing after two full years....still have not harvested a piece of Boo....so if I were you....and not going to be there for that long....make a Planter for it....and take it with you....JMO

Off topic....panhandle?  Where abouts?  Lubbock here.

A guy at work has bamboo growing at his parents here in Lubbock.  Says it took them like decade for it to really establish and start growing well.  Now they can't get rid of it...won't die.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:04:53 pm »
60 miles North of Amarillo....and You can control Japonica with Roundup....but you have to be persuasive!! I put mine inside a trough that I poured from Concrete....so that it has to travel down my Fence Like....not into my Yard....unless the Rhizome goes deeper than 18 inches.... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:05:22 pm »
Thanks Mike.  Planter route it is then.

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 10:06:12 am »
it would take a decade or more to grow a crop big enough to harvest shafts.  i've had some transplanted on my farm for about eight years.  it's starting to spread but i don't have any big enough to harvest just yet.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 12:06:24 pm »
Incorporate a mister in your water system that will mist the cane. It wont completely substitute for the lack of humidity in the desert, but it sure helps.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 12:38:28 pm »
 When I get home I'll post a picture of mine. It was planted two weeks before I sent some to Mike.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 06:14:32 pm »
It was dark when I got home last night. Mike, these were planted just before yours

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:33:35 pm »
That's 8 years of growth??  :o  Is none of that harvestable yet?  Any ideas for a slighty quicker growing cane.  I'm thinking of some Arundo now...
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:37:25 pm »
That is one year I believe.  :o
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 08:39:34 pm »
NTD....thats like almost two years worth of Growth....Eddie sent me mine like 1 1/2 years ago....and I have 7 spindly shoots right now....but a lot of it has to do with the Alkaline Soil We have here....and the fact that the Glaciers took all of the Top Soil is nonexistent here
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 08:51:01 pm »
Ah Ok.  Well then I might still give it a try.  I was confused with MechBlasters post, I thought he was the Mike that Mullet was referring to.  I guess since I plan on putting it in a planter it would mitigate some of my soil issues as well.  Well to cover my bases I'm going to plant some Arundo, Arrowweed, and some japonica.  All in planters and we'll see what happens.  Anyone know how Ipe will grow in tucson?  ;D joking...
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 10:06:16 pm »
 Justin will be able to tell you. I'm getting ready to send him some. Those are not ready to cut yet. They still have sheaths on the shafts. And they will get taller. They are growing in sand,also.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 10:37:47 am »
i have red clay acidic soil where i planted mine.  once they get started in my area they grow quite well, but it takes time to get them established.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy