Author Topic: Question on Yew stave.  (Read 16665 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Question on Yew stave.
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 09:00:34 pm »
Pappy, Just take it to a floor tiller slightly heavier then your normal for the reason of the fact it's softer wood then your used to working. Softer = making mistakes faster. ::) I usually get to floor tiller and the back it when I feel comfortable with the profile being where I want it.  Remembering that it's harder to heat treat after the backing is on, ;)
  You can wait till closer to final tiller but I find it's easy to come in to light when I wait to long. As long as the string alignment is fairly good you can do minor adjustments in the handle later if you need to.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 09:06:53 pm »
 Pappy, I've violated growth rings on the sapwood with no problems. I only backed it with thin deer rawhide, and I mean the thinnest I could find, to protect it from nicks and bangs. Yew tends to get beat up hunting with it. It is soft.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 06:47:44 am »
I plan on using the belly skin of a deer hide to back it,do you heat treat it like most woods or just heat to correct limb problems ??? BigCountry I oil the whole bow and clamp it in the handle then heat and work my way down each limb one at a time putting in the reflex and correcting any problemsI know I have.I am not really heat treating the bow at this time,just  using heat to correct any problems so it is easier to see the tiller. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 06:57:17 am »
Just low dense yew needs treat.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 06:59:42 am »
Thanks.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12:59 am »
 I've only used steam to correct it. I worried too much about over drieing it like cedar to use the heat gun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 11:38:51 am »
Pappy, the belly skin is the stretchiest part of the hide. The strongest is down the back. Midway down the hide(from back to belly) would give you the best of both worlds. Also, hide stretched more across the hide than down it's length.
  Your bow is coming along nicely.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »
Thanks Pat,I will keep that in mind when I cut it out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 01:09:06 pm »
Maybe someone has already answered this somewhere else, but does it make a big difference if you use dry heat and oil or is it better to steam yew? I seem to remember someone having bad luck with dry heat and it causing the bow to eventually snap in another thread.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 01:31:42 pm »
This steam dry heat conversation maybe should become its own thread, so's not to divert from Pappys sweet bow.  But...
I'm pretty sure that you lose a considerable amount of moisture when using steam also.  The heat drives it out of the wood even though its in a moisture rich environment. It would be interesting to see a side by side dry heat vs steam comparison on the same wood, evaluating moisture content before and after.

Things are looking real good Pappy,  I'm looking forward to this.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 03:37:13 pm »
Sorry 'bout that must be my eh dee dee, yeah I can't wait to see the bow finished too.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 06:11:45 am »
No problem,I talked to Gary Davis on straightening this one out and he told me he always uses dry heat with oil,he said he has used steam but and hour after he straightened it ,it was back like he started ,so I used oil and dry heat.so far it has held.Hope to get it on the long string Friday
evening. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 09:22:15 pm »
Cool thanks for the info.

Cicero

Roger

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 10:27:12 pm »
Pappy,

I've Had the same "creep back" issues on the Yew I have had the opportunity to work using steam. a generous saturation period after treatment will prevent a possible blow up, at least for me (ain't broke one yet).

Just a thought...

R

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 06:30:55 am »
Thanks Roger,It's been a week since I heat straightened it. I plan on long string today. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good