Author Topic: tiller help please  (Read 2346 times)

Offline jturner

tiller help please
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:59 am »
This is the 50 inch sinew backed osage I posted before, got the handle shortened up and bending more Id like to get the brace height up a little but wont that will make the string angle worse at full draw? If it blows up im not out much just fugured id ask before I tried.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tiller help please
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:17:04 am »
The only time string angle can be a problem is at full draw. Brace height shouldn't affect that at all. The bow will start stacking(rapidly increasing draw weight) when the string angle reaches 90deg. Looks like you are getting close. Kicking the tips up a little will reduce the string angle and make for a smoother last few inches of draw. Probably too late if the bow is sinew backed.
  Tiller looks good from what I can see.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturner

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:33:17 am »
Thanks for the quick relpy, I just figured if its bent more at brace its bent more at full draw and im already askin alot of this piece of wood.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:47:01 am »
hey man glad you shortened up that handle some, it looks really good now... From what i can see in the first pic the tiller looks good, how does it shoot?   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline jturner

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 01:06:02 am »
Thanks Josh It shoots good, it pulls 68lbs but whacks a target like its 100 lbs. I dont like a bow that heavy but Im afraid to go to thin on the belly. took it bunny hunting today, sure is handy to get through the brush with.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:11:23 am »
Heck yeah man don't mess with a good thing, heavy or not... Glad to hear it shoots good if you really wanted to lose some weight with it you can always take wood from the sides of the bow, i.e. make it narrower.  But if it shoots great then don't mess with it.  I have had bows that i tried to tweak in the past that i ended up messing up when i had a great shooter to start with.  I just don't know when to leave good enough alone i guess.  Great bow man  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:22:31 am »
Tiller appears to be good at full draw.  It also apears to have a slight bend mid way in the upper limb giving the appearence of a crooked tiller.  Its kinda hard to see but that would be my guess. 

Russ

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:26:34 am »
Looks pretty good to me,if anything looks a little stiff right out of the fads,if you need to reduce the weight a little I would do it there,If not shoot it. :) Wishe the pictures were a little bigger,old eyes you know. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:29:21 am »
Nicely done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline jturner

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:30:58 pm »
That top limb has a big knot hole mid-limb, it dont go quite through theres a hump on the back and a crater on the belly. It didnt want to bend too well there. this bow was 64 inches when i started I recurved the tips but it lifted a splinter on the curve that went too deep to get past so i chopped it down.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline John K

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:27:12 pm »
Kind of looks like a hinge on the bottom limb just out of the fades, but it's hard to tell from the small picture  ???
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 11:39:15 pm »
Nice- way to go getting a 68# bruiser - hate to be the bunny you're shootin' at!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA