Author Topic: Standing dead  (Read 2198 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Standing dead
« on: November 08, 2009, 02:14:36 pm »
I came across a website while looking for osage staves...the staves this website has for sale look very nice...no twist, good growth rings, and natural reflex....however they have in the description that all of their staves come from " "standing dead" trees that have been for at least 5 years...fully seasoned and ready to work"  would any of you work on these staves?  pm me and I'll send you the website if you want...

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Standing dead
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 02:46:43 pm »
Ky, osage is one of the only standing dead wood I would use but I would not pay much for a stave of it without holding it in my hand and giving it a good inspection.   How much are the staves and the shipping? 

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 02:50:32 pm »
they are asking $60-75 depending on the stave plus shipping...seems pretty steap to me considering I picked up a decent stave off ebay for around $25 total...

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 02:53:10 pm »
I wouldn't pay that for dead standing wood. Contact Yazoo and see about one of his staves. Mike knows osage!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 02:55:16 pm »
Thanks Pat
-Ky
GBR!

radius

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 02:55:35 pm »
the dead standing yew i took this summer was lame

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 03:35:20 pm »
Just because it was a dead tree, doesn't make it "seasoned" or certainly not dry enough for making a bow.
 I cut one that had been dead for 15 years or more. The heart wood was nearly as wet as if I had cut a live one. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 04:31:21 pm »
What Pat and a few others have said is good input. There are few trees that are decay resistant enough to be good standing.  Some that are extremely rot resistant will however be good wood. I cannot speak for Osage but Dave C and I have both had good success with fire killed yew that was standing. And I made a juniper self bow that was dead standing. But both yew and juniper are very slow to decay.
  Saw Filer also had a good point. Standing dead dose not mean cured.