Author Topic: Heating Reflex into Yew Question  (Read 3685 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Heating Reflex into Yew Question
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:36:58 am »
Never working with Yew before.  I was wondering if I can heat some reflex into it as I would with osage, with a heat gun and a caul ?
Traverse City, MI

Offline adb

Re: Heating Reflex into Yew Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:41:31 am »
You can, but I've had better luck bending yew with steam, or boiling the tips for recurving.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:30:08 am »
Rick, Yew heat bends very well. I usually use Crisco and heat on dry wood or steam on green wood.  If you  are going to do extremely small tight recurves, steam would probably be best. This is one that I just did that was very deflexed stave  (6.5") and I just rolled the mid limb back. Dry heat with Crisco

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 01:21:55 pm »
Beautifull job Keenan,
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 01:59:25 pm »
 Thanks Manny, It's just tilered on a long string so far, But I'll run a thread on this one soon I hope  ;D.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 03:23:07 pm »
That looks sweet Keenan!

Offline AllanM

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 04:04:24 pm »
Nice looking bow Keenan. Being from the UK I'm not familiar with Crisco and how it is used in the process. Could you explain please. Cheers, Allan
I've got a luverly bunch of coconuts

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 04:27:06 pm »
Allen, Crisco is just a brand of lard. Basically heat the wood a little and sub some on with a rag and it helps keep to much moisture from being lost while heating.  It soaks in slightly but only the minimal surface. You don't want to do it on a bow that is nearly finished or you might have to sand it way past your desired weight.  I'll will usually do it at or just before floor tiller stage.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:14:04 pm »
Thanks for the info Keenan.  That is a sweet looking bow.  The stave is nice and dry so I'll go with some dry just to put a bit of deflex into it. 
Traverse City, MI

radius

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:47:01 am »
i really like that bow too, Keenan, get busy and let's see it finished!  Love that humpy bumpy yew wood.  I sure hope my ride shows up.  He's supposed to be here in half an hour to go on a quest for yew.  Logs are waiting.  I've been waiting.  Here's a hoping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 10:12:52 am »
AlanM, I use olive oil and a heat gun for all my bow wood bending with good results. I've only made a few yew bows(one a 95#@30" war bow) and used this method for lining things up. I believe any oil, grease or lard will work to help prevent scorching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC