Author Topic: Little String Follow  (Read 3180 times)

Offline barebo

Little String Follow
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:40:25 pm »

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: Little String Follow
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »
from what i can see it looks pretty good
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:11:53 am »
Looks good for me also from what I can see. :) Just need to leave them a little bigger. I leave mine 448x336 and seem to be about right.Then add the one at a time 6 max per. responce.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline barebo

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 06:03:30 pm »
Well, by some miracle, my pics grew some. This is a Hickory Backed White Ash that I call "Little String Follow" as it shows 2" of set or follow unbraced. I never backed a bow before or used handle overlays, but it turned out decent. I added an Osage palm swell and an antler burr arrow rest and Osage tip overlays. It's 70" NTN and draws low 50#'s at about 26-27". Really accurate and nice flat cast. The follow doesn't bother me at all because it really shoots nice. Now, I'd like to try an Ash recurve or a Bamboo backed bow.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:04:05 pm »
Nice...just wish the pics were bigger!
Frank from Germany...

Offline barebo

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 06:44:20 am »
I had a devil of a time with the pics... posted them elsewhere with no problems full sized, but am not very familiar with photobucket's editing options.

Innocente

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:02:17 am »
i had to crawl up on my desk and smash my face up against my monitor to see it, but i really like your grip.  can't see your arrow rest well.  nice work on teh contrasting material on the back of the bow as well. 

would like to see a full draw pic, also closeups of your detail work on that grip.

Offline barebo

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 06:32:59 pm »

This is a little larger, but the site won't accept the full sized pics !!!
Maybe I can get my wife to take a full draw pic for me.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:36:28 pm by barebo »

Innocente

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 09:53:11 pm »
that looks great, like a pistol grip on an old gov't .45.  the bummer about making a grip that beautiful is you don't dare cover it up with a leather grip!

Offline barebo

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »
I'll be honest here - I cut the grip out too narrow, and it didn't feel right, so I added the Osage to "fatten it up". I think that I'm also going to add a thumb rest of Osage also to balance it out. Actually, the way the antler rest is shaped along with the palm swell, it gives a very positive locator style grip. Usually, I leave my staves pretty "meaty" so that I can shape a grip to any style, but just thinned this one down too much too soon. The contrast looks nice to me, so it was one goof that had a good result!!!

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 06:28:51 pm »
I am impressed,I really like the overlays. You turned a plain jane into a real work of art. Most bows we just worry are they going to break, But you show confidence in your work. Keep up the good work. In reference to your pic problem, try right click your mouse ,hit edit, view then scrim , reduce the pics to 30 percent. hit save and hit upload. Works for me and I ain't now computer wizard. Denny

Offline barebo

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 08:46:38 pm »
Thanks denny, I just got my first band saw, and when I cut the pieces out, it wasn't tuned very good. Now that I have it zeroed in better, my work will hopefully improve. I kinda like this backed style - even with the string follow, this bow Shoots !!! Little handshock is apparent, but heavier arrows will temper that some.  I've broken a few, but try to learn from those. I think that if you have good staves to start with, you have a better chance at making a good bow.