Author Topic: What about an osage yumi? (Pic Added)  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Aries

What about an osage yumi? (Pic Added)
« on: November 04, 2009, 03:44:49 pm »
Hey guys i was curious about making a osage yumi stlye self bow?  How do you think a single piece of wood would handle that profile? And would a sized down version likely preform much better at around 50-60# at 28"?  I wouldnt hate tryin this out cause i love the style but am still not much for laminating ::)  Ty
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:42:22 am by Aries »
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline RyanY

Re: What about a osage yumi?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:04:50 pm »
I have no experience with making yumi bows but because the design is usually much longer than a normal bow I imagine that while it could handle the style, osage is too heavy for the design and will cause the outer part of the top limb to be slow and if made to be light enough will be unstable. But if you made a scaled down version I'm sure that it would be an excellent bow.

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 04:10:20 pm »
That was my reasoning as well. I have no real experience making the yumi stlye and havent read much bout them either. what kind of lengths and widths do yall think would be optimum, supposing i was using a clean, quality piece of osage? also general ideas of where to heat bend in the points for recurves and reflexes would be very helpful too.  ANY input would be great, thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:54:46 pm by Aries »
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:57:36 pm »
A Japanese yumi wouldn't be a yumi, if it was made of osage.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:06:17 pm »
adb is right. You're not allowed to make a Japanese yumi bow out of osage. I recommend making a bow that looks like a Japanese yumi but really isn't because it would be a selfbow. JK I'm just giving adb a hard time. Anyways, over the summer i made an osage d bow that came out fantastic that was 1.25" in width so I would recommend that knowing that yumi bows are very sleek looking. As for length, i would start at 72" and go from there just because if it gets to long on the upper limb performance will probably suffer. I have no idea where the bends should be but I'm pretty sure there are five of them. Just go with your gut and I'm sure it will turn out great. Here is a link showing what I think is a great example of what to go for. https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,11083.0.html

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 04:03:19 pm »
I just made an 89" Maple longbow (Just for the fun of it) , it's about 50# at 28" but will come back as far as you like. It is predictably smooth but slow, and an absolute pig to get braced.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

coyote pup

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 04:14:38 pm »
I'd just jump right in and give it a shot. Probably a tad wider than perhaps a traditional Yumi, maybe 1.5 as said above. I wouldn't make it very long though because long, thin osage bows tend to be sluggish in my experiences. I'd go about 64". I think you should do it. I bet you it turns out to be a good, nice shooting little bow.

Offline Aries

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:30 pm »
Im thinkin it should be a fun project even though it wont be a "japanese Yumi" bow. Itll be an interestin twist. Ill probably get started on it tonight and see what wood i have available. I will probably make it 72" max, but a shorter 67 or so may still perform much better i think. Ill see what the wood tells me. I will try to post some pics as i go. I believe the stave i will be working with is approx 78" long but has a gradual 45 degree twist after about 67"...   so its debatable.
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:09:53 pm »
Go ahead and do it and if it isnt a Yumi bow than any warbow not made of yew isnt a warbow. 
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Aries

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 12:40:05 am »
Here is a pic of the wood i will be using. It has no twist, is 74.5" long now with lots of character  ;D. The snakey side will be the lower limb leaving the.. "relatively" straight side for the upper limb . I have lower limb tip at 1/2 and the top at 3/8 and the center of the handle area at 1/1/4". The widest point (handle area) of the bow is at about 40" from the tip of the UL.        So opinion time.      how do yall feel about the layout based on contemporary self bow knowledge. And do yall think there would be a large enough increase in performance to justify removing several inches from the length? At this point I can modify length easily with the bows layout.   Thanks guys, Im waitin on you to make my next move ;)     Ty

[attachment deleted by admin]
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: What about an osage yumi? (Pic Added)
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 03:15:31 am »
And do yall think there would be a large enough increase in performance to justify removing several inches from the length?
Thinking like that is the road to hell...you will just end up back at a short reflex deflex design, if you look for performance.
If you want to build something different, just build it, don't allow your experiment to get diluted to become just another 'standard' bow...
Just my two pennyworth.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.