Author Topic: WRC Bow  (Read 2700 times)

Offline bushman

WRC Bow
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:14:16 am »
I have got some straight grained, clear 2 x 4s 8’ long of Western Red Cedar. They where never kiln dried, they have been dryin for over a year so they should be dry enough by now. All of the post I have seen about red cedar say to leave some sapwood on the back of the bow. Well all of my 2 x 4s don’t have any sapwood on them. So I was wondering if I can still make a bow from them as long as I put some type of backing on them? Not sure what type of backing yet, haven’t got enough sinew. Got any suggestions as to what type of backing I should use? I was planning on making a bow 5’8” long 1” and ¾ wide with a very slow taper on the limbs starting at 24 inches from the tips, I was planning to taper the limbs to 1 inch wide at the tips. I was debating on recurving just the tips, but haven’t made up my mind yet. Think those 2 x 4s will work for that? Any advices would be appreciated greatly.
Bushman

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: WRC Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:22:39 am »
I have got some straight grained, clear 2 x 4s 8’ long of Western Red Cedar. They where never kiln dried, they have been dryin for over a year so they should be dry enough by now. All of the post I have seen about red cedar say to leave some sapwood on the back of the bow. Well all of my 2 x 4s don’t have any sapwood on them. So I was wondering if I can still make a bow from them as long as I put some type of backing on them? Not sure what type of backing yet, haven’t got enough sinew. Got any suggestions as to what type of backing I should use? I was planning on making a bow 5’8” long 1” and ¾ wide with a very slow taper on the limbs starting at 24 inches from the tips, I was planning to taper the limbs to 1 inch wide at the tips. I was debating on recurving just the tips, but haven’t made up my mind yet. Think those 2 x 4s will work for that? Any advices would be appreciated greatly.
Bushman

The Red Cedar that is commonly used for bows is Eastern Red Cedar not Western Red Cedar.  ERC is not a true Cedar but a member of the Juniper family.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

radius

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:08:53 am »
bushman, you're better off to get a hardwood piece of lumber from windsor plywood or pj white's or somewhere.  On saturday, i'm gonna pick up a bunch of yew, maybe we can work something out.

Scott

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:12:45 am »
WRC is not a good bow wood.
Dave

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:07:51 pm »
If it truly is Juniper, backed with bambo makes a decent bow. You could probably back it with hickory as well.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:46:59 pm »
WRC is pretty brittle. I've got one in the works because someone gave me a piece. I backed it with red oak. We'll see. If you want to make a board bow you are better off with oak or hickory. Poplar is not a good choice either. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!